How do I find the owner of some property?

ZmOz

Captain
There's some property behind my house, about an acre, just sitting there going to waste. It's surrounded by houses, and I'd like to buy it before someone builds more houses there. Anybody know how I might find the owner?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: How do I find the owner of some property?

contact the county property appraiser, as they have the records of who owns what, and the info is free and public, at least it is here in windy florida!

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Took a drive a couple of hours or so ago with dawg. We just had to see I4 empty. What a beautiful sight. When ratworld closes down, and a storm is near..... this place is almost livable til the storm actually gets here.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I would think any realtor in the area could help you. That's what we did. Good luck.<br />Bassy

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to your county courthouse with the address and you can get the name of who owns it and also how much they paid and they could tell you if there are any back taxes on it. You may pick it up for a steal if you call the people yourself. If you dont know the addy (ie if its landlocked) you can look at your county tax map and find the tax map ID almost all countys in virginia have the tax maps on the county websites for free download.

SoulWinner

Commander

Property Appraisers Office has all the plats on file for your county, with the owner name, address, etc. It is free and public information. First, try finding your county web site on-line, and go to the Property Appraiser page, they may have a searchable data base (they do here in Santa Rosa County Florida, can any of you find me in there???) If that doesn't work go to their offices and get the info, as well as aerial photos and topo maps of the county.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) City; town or county assesors office has all that info and should not cost any money!!! ;) :cool:

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might be able to look it up on your county website. Those tax records are public information.