How do I empty my black water tank?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tank is up front and the hose that it's supposed to be emptied with exits the hull a good 4 feet above it which makes gravity not an option.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I empty my black water tank?

Pump out at the marina is what I do.

LK

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the current drought, the service area at the marina at the lake I frequent is not currently accessible by boat. Is there an at-home option?

I guess I could always go to the other local lake every time I need to pump out the boat. :lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Is there a RV/trailer(5th wheel etc..) park close by? They pump those out too....... Maybe for a small fee they'll let you pump out....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

to empty at home you will need to purchase a macerator pump and whatever valves, fittings, hoses, and containers you deem fit to properly dispose of it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Is there a RV/trailer(5th wheel etc..) park close by? They pump those out too....... Maybe for a small fee they'll let you pump out....

rv's are gravity drain... no pumps involved.....

Another option might be to trailer to said marina... they MAY be set up to take care of you on the trailer.... maybe

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I'll call the marina and check on using a trailer to do it. If that isn't an option I'll go the pump route.

Alwhite00

With the current drought, the service area at the marina at the lake I frequent is not currently accessible by boat. Is there an at-home option?

I guess I could always go to the other local lake every time I need to pump out the boat. :lol:

How often do you need to pump it out? What the heck is going on on your boat? :) How big of tank do you have? I pump out in the middle of the season and again right before it goes into storage.

LK

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha. This is my first black water tank. I'm guessing it's 20 gallons or so. I didn't realize you can do it that infrequently. I just thought you'd want to get that crap outta there ASAPee.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Now that you mention it, duh...... And here I thought I had a great idea, o'well....... :)

I HAVE emptied mine at a state park rv dump site but I have a macerator and thruhull so I simply park in the right spot and flip the switch

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem a few years ago with our Sun Runner, the only pumpout within 100 miles was busted--

So I bought a "whalepump" from West Marine...

whalepump.jpg

The suction line is typical flexible home-type drain plumbing, my exit hose is from an old wet-dry vac (it was handy at the time :) )

-The male threads on this typical plastic elbow will fit any standard marine waste fitting---

drainelbow.jpg

--making it cheap and easy to rig up your own waste pump plumbing. Yes, it seals well and will pump out uphill.

The whalepump worked great, but of course a macerator is much easier than hand pumping for sure, and I highly recommend one. The same 'only waste pump within 100 miles' is still always broken, so for years I've pumped out our houseboat's black tank with a macerator and $8 worth of cheap Home-Depot drain plumbing. (I have a 22 gallon portable RV dump tank I pump into, then dump THAT at the RV dump).

I still keep the hand pump around- when our starboard fuel tank leaked 40 something gallons of gas into the bilge of the SkipperLiner our first year, the whalepump is what pumped it all out, the gasoline didn't affect it a bit. Still works like new...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

How often do you need to pump it out? What the heck is going on on your boat? :) How big of tank do you have? I pump out in the middle of the season and again right before it goes into storage.

LK

I was doing what you do originally. Over time your hoses and vent line become permeated and it's tough to get rid of the smell. Early last season I made a concerted effort to clean things up with detergent, letting it sit, pumping out, flushing the system with fresh water 3 or 4 times, then doing the whole thing a second time.

Now, I pump out asap after every weekend and when possible, flush the system with fresh water and pump out again. I use Raritan Clean Pottie and K.O. religiously. No more vent odors when we flush the head.

Also makes a huge difference if you have a fresh water flush toilet, or boat in fresh water. Fewer microscopic critters to decompose in the holding tank.

My .02

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I pump mine as much as possible. At least a few times a season, but for my sized boat it's a smaller tank (larger than original).

If you have a thru hull and macerate you can pump it from below and dispose of it in a land septic or sewer. It's a gross job though!

Alwhite00

We do not use the head for "solids" if you catch my drift and have never had a problem with odor. I put that chemical in it for odor (forget the name) and so far, so good. Head is fresh water supplied from the freshwater holding tank.

LK

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I use this;
littlejon.jpg
and the ladies use my pump out.......

JoLin

Vice Admiral

We do not use the head for "solids" if you catch my drift and have never had a problem with odor. I put that chemical in it for odor (forget the name) and so far, so good. Head is fresh water supplied from the freshwater holding tank.

LK

We overnight a lot, so we use the head for every type of, uh... excretion. A fresh water head makes a HUGE difference. These days I often fill the bowl with water from the shower head to flush, instead of drawing it from the outside.