how do I connect my Tachometer?

jjboor

Seaman
I just got my tacho meter out of my boat... took me a while In the burning sun. but hey! here it is on my desk. now I 'm wondering what to do next. I have an OMC remote and out of this comes a plug with three connections I found out 1 is + one is - and one is rpms.<br /><br /> On the back of the tachometer I have a bolt that says:"+pos so I guess + as in battery + connected through to a bolt that says L2 (light remote?). On the other side a bolt that say -NEG so that must be battery minus no? T bolt keeps it together I guess? but then a bolt that says BD and was connected through to the speedometer. Now I can connect + and minus no? where do I connect the BD to? if this would be the rpm connection why is it connected through to the speedometer?. And last there is a little light bulb in the tachometer the housing is the back of the meter so the meter must be - or + but which one? For i need to connect the back of the light bulb as well.<br /><br />hope this makes sense to some one because I found a nice new(2hand) prop which might just be what the doctor... And need to decide if it really is what I need.<br /><br /><br />Jan-Jaap Boor

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: how do I connect my Tachometer?

You could get one of These, to connect to the 3 prong fitting on the control box. One wire(Purple) will go to the "I" terminal on the tach, the Gray wire will go to the "S" terminal on the Tach and the other will go to the "G" or ground on the Tach. The backlight can be tagged into any other hot wire, such as the speedo backlight wire. I do not know what the meaning of your letters and so forth on the Tach you have, so I really cannot tell you which wire to hook to which terminal. Guessing could be bad for your Tach. What brand of Tach is it??