How compatible is a 1966 33hp Johnson with an Evinrude Lark 40hp ?

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice
I currently have a 1966 33hp Johnson Model RXEL 14D that has a 5" shaft extension in place that I would like to remove. I have found an Evinrude Lark 40hp RDSL-29E for parts. My question is whether or not the lower units ,and/or parts there of, will interchange. I am in need of a shorter Drive shaft, lower shift rod, and water tube. Wouldn't be bad to have it for future parts anyway. The 33hp is currently mounted on a 20" transom, but I would like to place it on a boat with a 15" transom. I could always get a transom extender, but the I am just adding stress to my transom. I would rather shave 5 or so lbs from the motor, and still have a factory transom.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How compatible is a 1966 33hp Johnson with an Evinrude Lark 40hp ?

Nobody?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the 40hp driveshaft will swap over. As long as it is exactly 5-inches shorter and has the same splines and keyway placement, it'll work. Your 33 may have a 5-inch extension in the water tube. If it doesn't, cut it back EXACTLY 5-inches, at the same angle as the existing part - be sure to clean up any burrs or rough edges. Same for the shift rod - cut it back EXACTLY 5-inches and grind a groove in the tip like the part you cut off.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Your 40 HP is a long shaft as well, I think, so that doesn't help.
The regular length drive shaft is part #554314 and was the same for both motors, if short shaft-configured.
You can try the list of salvage yards in the top secret files for the parts you need....or try cutting them per Chinewalker's instructions.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

Does anybody know if the Evinrude Lark IV is an electric shift or a manual shift ?

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

Rdsl-29e

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know then. That's what he said it was. He sent me some more pics today. The front of the cowl says Selectric Shift. The guy trying to sell it to me says that Selectric meant you could chose between manual or electric shift at the time of purchase, and that this one was Manual. It does have the shift lever on the starboard side of the motor. I always took an exposed shifter to mean manual shift, but I'm not an outboard genius. I do have a hard time buying his definition of Selectric Shift though, but then again I'm not an outboard genius lol.

lindy46

Captain

The guy probably slapped a cowl from an Evinrude Selectric shift onto a Johnson manual shift motor. If it has a shift lever on the starboard side, it is a manual shift motor.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I was starting to think. This thing looks just like my seahorse under the cowl, and would explain the model number.