How can you find hidden stainless steel screws?

Bski

Seaman
I need to remove a panel in the floor and it has stainless steel screws that are buried in carpet.<br /><br />A magnet won't work.<br /><br />Any ideas as to how I can find the screw heads?<br /><br />Metal detector?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: How can you find hidden stainless steel screws?

Scrape along in the carpet with a table fork.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Peel back the carpet and look if you can!

torpedoseal

Cadet

No need to peel carpet back unless scraping a wide trawl or putty knife won't do it. I had a similiar problem last year and it worked beautifully.

D

DJ

Use an electronic stud finder. Available at any home improvement store-cheap.

Bski

Seaman

I tried the stud finder but I couldn't get any kind of a reasonable reading from it. The boat is a Glastron and it has fiberglass stringers so the stud finder may not be able to detect them.<br /><br />The screw heads are so far down in the nap that the only way I found them so far was to use an awl. That wasn't a problem around the perimiter cause they were all along the edge so I was able to go in a straight line and the point would sink into the phillips head. <br /><br />The few that are in towards the middle are random and it looks like I may have to just keep poking around until I find them.<br /><br />Going to try the fork idea, that will cover a little more of an area. Can't peel back the carpet cause I can't seem to get under the panel enough to grab it.<br /><br />Thanks for all the ideas.

Bski

Seaman

Finally got the panel off, I ended up lifting it up enough that one of the screws broke through allowing me to lift it a little higher to see where the other one was located. <br /><br />They were buried so deep into the panel that I couldn't find them with the awl.<br /><br />I now have pictures to show me the locations so the next time I will know where they are.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many SS screws are magnetic. But even if they aren't, they will still deflect a compass.

Bski

Seaman

Never thought about using a compass, I'll have to check that out. Even though I know where they are now, it would be great to have a method of tracking them down.