How can I tell if my outboard has a charging system?

I have a 20 H.P. 1990 Johnson, how can I tell if it has a charging system that keeps the battery charged?<br /><br />thanks....

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: How can I tell if my outboard has a charging system?

Look for 2 yellow leads coming from under the flywheel, in fact, it may have only one.<br />If you don't see any yellow leads, check batt voltage with a volt meter before you start it...let it run at a high idle for about a minute or so, then while the engine is running, check batt voltage again...If it's higher than it was before you started it, it has a charging system. A digital will tell you in tenths and is easy to read. It should be around 12.9-13.3 at high Idle, maybe a tad bit more with no other load on the battery.<br />Are you having battery issues???

Re: How can I tell if my outboard has a charging system?

Kenny, thanks for the info. I'll check it out..I'm not having problems with the battery...I always put it on the charger before I head out..Starts up great and works great with the trolling motor...Me and my brother were working on my front light and anchor light and he asked me if I had a charging system on the motor...I lost the manual and said I didn'nt know...Now I can find out...thanks again....