how can i make my 1975 2 stroke 15 hp johnson go faster

speedy 15hp

Recruit
i have a 1975 15 hp johnson and i want to make it go faster!!!!! i belong to a bass club that is called pond hoppers. the rules are you can only run a maximum of 15hp engine size on a 14ft jon boat. my boat is 12ft and lite as it can be with a 15 hp on it . i have gps the speed of my boat and it is running 22.3 mph at 6100 rpm. i have looked everywere for a prop with more pitch found they dont make one with more pitch for a 15 horse. but ican get the same prop i already have but the guy said they would modify it to get more top speed. but then i will lose my rpm. what can i do to bring rpm back up after installing prop. I WANNA GO FASTER!!!!!!! can anyone help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how can i make my 1975 2 stroke 15 hp johnson go faster

engine height, you can put a 1/2 under transom clamp, higher pitch prop. decarb the motor. make sure it is properly tuned.

whywhyzed

Banned

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

FIRST GET A TACH! You can't know where you are going until you know where you are! And even with a GPS for speed, the tach gives you a direct reading on engine performance. Then make one modification at a time. If you have more than one variable, you can not know which has helped or which has hindered. ALL racers are in a constantly improving state--and it takes thought and time. You can NOT just throw a bunch of modifications at an engine and magically it will become a barnstormer--just doesn't work that way. You need to work smart--not hard.

Mill the head for higher compression--research FIRST to be sure there will be enough clearance for spark plug electrode. Don't go too far or you will have a hard time pulling it over and you will need premium fuel. 140 psi is a good high number for a small engine.

Pack the block by filling the bypass area and other areas where the rods and crank don't reach--better volumetric efficiency. Get a bigger carb and fine tune it to your engine, open up the reed stops a little so reeds will open wider.

Get a smaller diameter, higher pitched prop so the engine can rev a little more and yet take a bigger bite out of the water. Only way to go fast is high revs and high pitch prop. Big 140 racing Mercs used a tiny 10 inch diameter prop with about 25 inch pitch with 1 to 1 lower gearing or even 1.2 to 1 (like overdrive)

Raise the engine on the transom--need to experiment here with best height. Experiment with timing. Get the engine "on the pipe" (tuned exhaust pipes)
Vent the exhaust gas out above the cavitation plate for less back pressure--a few 1/4 inch holes on each side of the leg will help some--noisier though and not quite legal for recreational use!

"PORT" the bypass and exhaust ports. This usually results in significant gains on older cross flow engines and if done properly will not affect engine life. You must disassemble the engine to do it though, so it is a winter project. If you want to see an example of porting, go over to Chrysler crew, join and go to photo albums. Look for Frank's boats. There is a 3 cylinder ported Chrysler in there

RUN ALCOHOL/NITRO OR NITROUS.

I'm just spitting out ideas here. You pick and choose. Example: if you have tuned pipes, you don't need to vent the leg.

ALL THESE MODS (with the exception of raising the engine and a prop change) WILL HELP TO MAKE MORE HORSEPOWER--ALL WILL HELP TO SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE. Some cost quite a bit. Speed is always expensive so it depends on how serious you are.

When you start modifying an engine for speed, you need to experiment and sometimes things go wrong -- sometimes you lunch an engine--then you need to start from scratch.

Go over to hydroracer.net, join and pick their brains. I'm sure that although they run standard classes of engines, there is still a LOT of knowledge out there on souping-up these small stock engines.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you quote 6100rpm I take it you already have a tach. Good. I don't see a change in pitch gaining you anything without some rigging changes.

Setting the engine back a few inches and up a few inches would open the possibility of getting a few knots at WOT with a bit more pitch or a SS prop, but that sort of tuning is a trial and error thing. Too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing very quickly.

But the bottom line is this: Are you racing or fishing? Are you willing to cheat? A lot of the above is "how to cheat".

Gaining two or three knots top speed is going to do nothing measurable to your success at catching fish. Why not focus on becoming a better fisherman rather than a faster one?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And then study a physics or propeller theory book. You will learn that more pitch takes a bigger bite on the water and "theoretically" will increase speed IF the engine can maintain the same rpm. Fact is, in most cases where the engine is already at or near its maximum WOT rpm, more pitch will remove revs and there is little chance of getting them back if setup is already correct. As was mentioned, work on setup, then think about a prop tweak if a different prop is not available.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As suggested raise the motor until just before venting becomes a problem.
Just be sure the clamp has a good grip and it pumps water.A 1 inch increase in height could net 2 or mor mph.Give the motor a good tuneup set points carefully to .020.plugs to .030.Carefully strip as much weight as possible if you are using oars maybe use a little 100 mile an hour paddle or those plastic oars they use on cheap inflatables. Usually keeping the weight near the stern will help to get the bottom free of the water.You may have to move forward to plane and then move as far back as possible.Adjust the trim if two notches is too much but one seems not enough buy or make wedges to help you get or lose 1/2 a notch.
The 15s rpm range is 5,500 to 7,000.If you can't find a prop with more pitch maybe you can drop 1 or 2 inches maybe net a little more speed if it can wind up enough.the 15 should be able to get close to 27 or 28 mph with ideal conditions.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

If it were me i would just go faster then. Sounds like you want to get more speed if you say you want to go faster. If you get some more speed out of your 15 hp motor that would allow you to go faster.

speedy 15hp

Recruit

i was trying to replace the reeds on my 15hp johnson and some of the bolts that i needed to take off are aginst the shroud do i need to pull the power head to change the reeds? where can i get some info on how to take it apart?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Why are you changing the reeds?If it is simply to improve speeed as I understand it reed change usually results in better low and mid range response little top end.I would think a factory manual would have reed service procedure.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Stainless Steel prop with cupped edges along with experimenting with engine height and trim. The 15 is already a high performance motor, so any "improvements" start falling into the extreme catagory. How about the boat? Ready to start tweaking that for top performance? Maybe leave the wife at home? Nah, just kidding.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just thinking, there is a guy in the Florida Chapter of the Antique Outboard Club that has a 15 that just flat-out RUNS. The sound sends chills up my back. Post a question at Ask-A-Member at aomci.org and see if you can raise a response about who that is. I know Garry has a picture.

americanmuscle

Recruit

i was trying to replace the reeds on my 15hp johnson and some of the bolts that i needed to take off are aginst the shroud do i need to pull the power head to change the reeds? where can i get some info on how to take it apart?

how did you make out with your 15hp johnson?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Cupped prop may help and as has been said in many threads your set up is critical.

dancudayo

Seaman

Get a bigger motor and put 15 hp stickers on it. Some rules are meant to be broken, lol.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Get a bigger motor and put 15 hp stickers on it. Some rules are meant to be broken, lol.

Now that is really cheating.
I have never seen a V4 15hp before !!!! LOL

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That would be tough. I think a 15 is typically the largest motor using it's particular form-factor. Anything larger would be dead obvious