how can i get out of the hole faster w/this 65hp merc?

dennisrhall

Seaman
i have a 1967 merury 65hp (great motor) my problem is it takes 2-3 minutes for it to get out of the hole, oh it's on a 15 ft. vip bass boat which weighs around 900 or so pounds, i've tried different pitches, a little better take of but decreces top end, i want both of the best worlds fast take off and fast top end which i have no complaint on top end. what do you think the problen is? PROP?????<br /><br />--------------------<br />dennis<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: how can i get out of the hole faster w/this 65hp merc?

Hey dennisr you have already posted the same question 2 days ago under a different thread. Its easier to continue on with the original thread rather than starting new threads with the same topic. Members are able then to read a history and know whats transpired.<br /><br />Like I said earlier, there is something else going on. How many people on-board ? In your last post you mentioned the motor has been checked out completely. Assuming that was done by a qualified mechanic then you can eliminate the motor as a possible problem. Having tried different props with no success would seem to indicate the prop is not the answer either. I would think that with a 65HP on a 900Ib 15ft boat you should be able to plane in under 10 seconds. I've got a 14ft 500Ib boat with a 40hp and with two adults I can plane in about 3 seconds.<br /><br />Can you provide more info about specific props that you tried and rpm readings ? Maybe you are just WAY overpropped ?