How can I charge my battery while boating if my tiller is a pull start?

RonJon24

Seaman
I have just bought a Yamaha 15MSHB, and it is a 15 hp 2 cycle pull start without a alternator. I wanted an electric start, just so I would have an alternator, but this was hard enough to find. If I want to be able to charge my battery while on the lake, do I have any options?

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: How can I charge my battery while boating if my tiller is a pull start?

a bank of large solar panels

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

uuummmmmm...while underway...No. However you can charge it on the boat while docked so long as you have a charger and electricity within dropcord range:rolleyes:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Your only choice is to add or have a charging winding and rectifier added. Other than that your hosed.

RonJon24

Seaman

Thanks guys.

MH Hawker, can you please explain how to go about adding a winding and rectifier added? Is it worth it?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You would have to order the parts from a dealer. Its the parts that add a charging set up. On most small OB its a stator winding that mounts under the flywheel and a voltage rectifier and if its worth it would depend on how much you want to be able to charge a battery. In most cases you have to remove the flywheel to bolt on the stator.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not all small outboards have a charging coil option. Chances are, if there is an option, the cost is more than a good smart charger that you can plug in at the dock.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might give your local Yamaha dealer a call and see if they have a kit to convert it to electric. Being as it's a 2003 motor, they may have one. They may even be able to piece together what you need to put a charging system on your motor.