How big?

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice
My 70's era Montgomery Ward 14 foot aluminum boat is rated for 22 hp. Can I get away with a 25? Is the weight of the motor the overriding factor or is it the horses themselves? I currently have a Merc 110 which is fine for just me but when I get my sons or another buddy in the boad, we don't plane too well.<br />Thanks

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How big?

Check out the thread "Overpowered".....We deliberated that subject. There is some good information on hull ratings. Personally, I think you will be OK. Those older motors were a little bit heavier than the new ones......If your transom is solid, I think 3 more HP will not be a problem.......Read the board for a huge amount of opinions(like Mine) and a lot of good information. Goodluck....BushCat

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Bushcat:<br />Yikes-talk about a hot topic!<br />3hp seems to be conservative to me but if a 20 hp comes along maybe I'll just take a look.<br />All I want to do is lift the bow with the wife on board (is she behind me with the rolling pin?)<br /> :eek:

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Riley, you may also want to trim the motor up a little and possibly put on a Stingray stabilizer fin. If she is beating you with a roller pin, give her your boat and get you a faster one. Goodluck......BushCat

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Riley,<br /> A 20hp on a Monkey Wards tin can should really fly, even with the wife, dog, kids, etc... The only real issue with a modest over rating like your proposal is that if you should ever get into an accident, your insurance will likely not cover you...<br />- Scott

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Put $ on a '73 Merc 200 (20 hp) that was a well cared for one owner job being brokered by a shop with a good reputation. <br /><br />It has a 3 blade prop that the mech says has a 11" pitch. Will this reduce top end too much?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Riley<br />Going by the Prop selector, the replacement for your size boat would be a 3 Blade 10" X 9". You should be close with the 11", depending on the load in the boat. If it's lugging and not getting full RPM's, then you will need to drop down to the 9" pitch. Of course, this can only be determined with a Tach. with a normal load in the boat.