How bad is this problem?

Tailguner

Seaman
Well i got the boat out of storage this weekend and when i lowered the drive gear oil starting dripping out from behind the prop. its a bravo 3 dual prop...last season had no leaks and oil never had any water intrusion in the drive. what happened in storage? anyone have any idea ????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How bad is this problem?

Time to pull the drive, drain the gear lube and pressure test the drive. Spray soapy water everywhere to find the leak, or submerge the drive in water to find where the bubbles come from.

Tailguner

Seaman

is this pressure tester a special tool? where can i get one? sorry for the stupid question but since its leaking from behind the prop wouldnt it be the seal behind the prop that is leaking?

Bondo

Staff member

sorry for the stupid question but since its leaking from behind the prop wouldnt it be the seal behind the prop that is leaking?

Ayuh,... Due to gravity, Any leaking seal above the prop is Suspect...

Any chance the exhaust cavity had water in it, 'n Froze,..??

Tailguner

Seaman

pulled both props this am seals seem to be good no fishing line or other debris were in there. exhaust port still had gear oil in it...the leak did stop only a few ounces came out.gear oil level is right at the full line on resevoir tank. no gear oil or any fluids in bilge.hate to dump brand new fluid but i just may have to. im hoping for the best...i need to get my hands on a pressure tester to be 100% sure..sigh

Bondo..i guess its possible rain water got in there the drive was in the up position. but i live in so cal (temecula) to be exact I dont think we have had any freezing temps here yet this year...if water did freeze n there what did it do to the drive?

Bondo

Staff member

if water did freeze n there what did it do to the drive?

Ayuh,... If it didn't freeze, it ain't an issue....

Around here, it can fill with rain/ snow, freeze, 'n Split the castings...

Tailguner

Seaman

Ayuh,... Due to gravity, Any leaking seal above the prop is Suspect...

Any chance the exhaust cavity had water in it, 'n Froze,..??

any idea what parts/orings i would need to replace between the upper and lower of the drive. i think i can do those myself (have done them on a alfa 1). would like to replace those first and then retest with pressure. i have been quoted 500.00 for replacing the prop shaft seals if they are the problem.