How bad is this idea...

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice
30 hp Johnson has sat up for a while, but cranks up with a couple of pulls. Not pumping water though. With help from jasper and others I have gotten the LU apart and looked at everything and looks ok. Impeller looks new, pump housing seems fine. If I can hook water to the copper water intake pipe that runs to the block, could it determine if the route is clogged? Will it pee with forced water or does the motor have to be running to expel water?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: How bad is this idea...

That will work, no problem. The water pressure will replace the pump. You don't have to have it running but you can if you like.

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I am a little flambuzzeled w this thing. Want to try and eliminate all free options first

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a thermostat, remove it. Forcing water up the uptake tube should back-flush gunk out of the thermostat housing.

After you re-install thermostat, check the tell tale again. If it still doesn't flow, force weed whacker line or fine wire up the tell tale hose - quite often, it will be plugged with debris.

Let us know what happens.

mark1961

Ensign

check the tell tale again. If it still doesn't flow, force weed whacker line or fine wire up the tell tale hose - quite often, it will be plugged with debris.

Yep, you usually find bugs have decided to make a home out of the telltale plumbing, mine was blocked solid halfway back to the fitting on the block with crud.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the bushing in the center of the impeller has not lost it's bond to the rubber of the impeller otherwise the bushing will spin just fine but the fins will not.

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help on this. Just to let you know half a duck call and electrical tape was used to make this happen. PROfessional! Anyway, it must have been clear b/c it shot out like a laser. I had already disconnected the tell tale from the block and checked it out. So now I just need to hook it back up and see what the next issue will be. All things being equal, everything seems to be ok, what is the next item on the list of why water is not pumping if water pump/impeller is good and lines are clear?

jasper60103

Commander

It could be a pinched grommet or the water tube was not inserted in pump.

edit: BTW, I've used duct tape and a hose. Worked like a charm:D
Oh, and be sure to put some grease on the drive shaft splines, avoid putting grease on the top. Take your time putting the LU back on. If you got good lighting, you should be able to see the copper tube insert in the water pump.

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An impeller is cheap enough..Why not put a new one on? You can keep the old one if it is, in fact, in good shape. If the impeller isn't turning, but The shaft is (as suggested above) you will be happy you did it. Rich

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One of the most common reasons motors don't pump water is because somebody is running it in a bucket. If that applies, well there you go.....

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Run the motor deep in a trash can or other. As mentioned, the grommets may also be pinched causing a constriction.

Mas

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One of the most common reasons motors don't pump water is because somebody is running it in a bucket. If that applies, well there you go.....

Exactly. You should have the water up to the lower mounts, or higher if you can. Running motors with too low of a water level is a common mistake here. Sorry to say.:(

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

I guess you can smell a rookie

If that turns out to be the problem and it probably will, now. I may kick my own a&&, but everything has been checked out and I now know how to install it. I really appreciate all the help I have received. It is very satisfying to get things fixed yourself instead of getting fleeced b/c you dont know what you dont know

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got the water pump issue fixed? or at least it has been torn down checked out and reinstalled and spraying water like new. Thanks for alll the guidance, put it in at the ramp w plenty of water and viola! Now the next problem, runs great in neutral and at idle speed in gear, when I try to plane out it gets about 1/3 throttle it bogs down. When I back the throttle down to idle it runs ok. Had somebody have the same issue and new plugs fixed it. Any thoughts. 3rd problem still cant figure out what year it is and what the plugs need to be gapped.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Plug gap is 0.030".
Plug type is either J6C if it is a 1950s vintage or QL77JC4 if it is not.

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great to hear that it's spraying water well.

Have you cleaned up the carb? If the motor "sat up for a while", there's a good chance of crud in the carb. Also, check the carb hi-speed adjustment

If the carb's good, I'd check out ignition system (spark, timing, etc)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

What year 30hp is this, anyhow? If it's the '56 vintage, then open up the high speed need about 1/8 - 1/4 turn (CCW)

If it's the newer vintage ('80's or newer) then yea, it sounds like a carb rebuild is in order, but first, I would check and see if the fuel lines are not obstructed and are flowing freely. It also sounds like you could have a weak fuel pump too.:cool:

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thats one of my other issues. I cant figure out what year or model. Besr guess form pics I posted under other heading is mid 80's -90's. Has the shifter in the front rather the starboard side