how bad is this 99 (200hp optimax merc)

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just bought a 200hp opotimax (1999) we took it to the water and it rode perfect then for fun i did a compression test all are 93psi-98psi SO I KNOW THIS ISNT VERY GOOD BUT IT RODE SO WELL, HOW BAD IS THIS

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: how bad is this 99 (200hp optimax merc)

i just bought a 200hp opotimax (1999) we took it to the water and it rode perfect then for fun i did a compression test all are 93psi-98psi SO I KNOW THIS ISNT VERY GOOD BUT IT RODE SO WELL, HOW BAD IS THIS
Given the fact that it's probably 11 years old with unknown hours on it, I'd say it's done pretty well. The trick is to fix it now before it goes south. Once they blow they're expensive to fix but if you catch it before that, it's pretty routine. The 99 was actually a pretty good year for the Optimax according to what I've heard. The hadn't stretched them out trying to make friends with the EPA at that point. A couple of years later they started pushing them pretty hard and had more problems until they redesigned some of it after 2006. The 2010's are almost a completely different engine and are reported to be very nice motors.

Renos2

Recruit
Re: how bad is this 99 (200hp optimax merc)

Thats normal commpression for that engine wouldnt touch it all cylinders are close to the same and that is what is important