How are outboards rated for horsepower?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How are outboards rated for horsepower?

Chris: look closely at the photos again. That is a 65 HP Johnson 3 cylinder looper with a whale tail. It is already off the boat and sold. The boat is now sitting upside-down in preparation for sanding the bottom and re gel coating. This is because the O.P. did a crappy job on it.

Orange IS the color of the jump boat and I still maintain that my Chrysler 140 will go on it. It will look WAY better than the black thing you would put on it and will probably get me up past 60.

Dear Frank,

It was Orange/White. Remember the Seventies folks. Taste was not in fashion. Lived it-know it.

Merc's were always black, Chrysler's, white and John/Rudes were either Green/White or Blue/Silver.

I just remember that John/Rude's would out pull any "Tower of Power" Merc. and Chrysler' s were always in the shop. Still holds true for anything Chrysler (Dodge/Chrysler) et al. Now that they (Chrysler) are owned by Fiat-oh boy. Even worse.

If it were me, I'd power a boat with a later model "cross flow" V-4 of about 112-115 HP with cowling and tag plate showing "85".

As long as the cowling, tag plate and core plug serial numbers match-no issues.

Tag plates may be available here; Welcome to Twin City Outboard - Parts from 1906 to Present

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Youse guys are just wrong. Hang my Merc 1500 on that thing and she will dance on the water.... Those TOP motors kinda have a "Boston" accent (nasally), but they sure have lots of mid and high RPM power....

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hang a late model prop rated 70 on it and it will run circles around that 85hp.....