House votes to toughen laws

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
I was glad to see this in our local paper today. <br />Bassy<br /><br /><br />House votes to toughen driver's license, asylum, border fence laws<br /><br />Thursday, February 10, 2005, 5:45 PM<br />WASHINGTON (AP) - The House voted Thursday to make states verify that they're not giving driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and to grant judges broader power to deport political asylum seekers they suspect may be terrorists. <br />The legislation, passed by a 261-161 vote, also would allow the completion of a fence along the U.S.-Mexican border south of San Diego by waiving environmental hurdles.<br />California's law giving driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, which was signed by Democrat Gray Davis and repealed by Schwarzenegger, would not be allowed under the legislation. Democrats in the state legislature are still pushing a similar measure; it would be blocked.<br />Here is the whole article:<br /><br />House votes to toughen laws

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: House votes to toughen laws

It's about time the Federal Government flexes some muscle in an area of it's prime responsibility. In many things I tend to be a States Rights advocate but when it come to our National borders, it's about time Uncle Sam slaps the hands of these Liberal State governments that want to hand out drivers licenses for votes.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Let's hope is passes through the Senate now.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Isn't your buddy GW pushing for legalizing illegals? So why waste money on a stupid fence if the gates are wide open?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> The House voted Thursday ... to grant judges broader power to deport political asylum seekers they suspect may be terrorists. <br />
At the risk of getting my head shot off, I don't understand this approach.<br /><br />We've had the same (in my view) rubbish here about the risk of alleged terrorists coming in on refugee boats and (in my view) government bull about the need for stronger laws to deal with the threat they supposedly pose.<br /><br />If you were a half-way serious terrorist intent on doing damage in whatever country, why would you draw attention to yourself by entering it in the most conspicuous way which is guaranteed to get you examined by government authorities, dumb though they may be, trying to establish your identity as a prelude to working out if you qualify for asylum? <br /><br />Any half-way serious terrorist (whatever that means as distinct from just a small bunch of homicidal lunatics inspired by some idiot ideology)could enter any country on a tourist visa with no problems.<br /><br />If you were going to carry out some terrorist act in whatever country and you had a choice between arriving as an asylum seeker with all the restrictions and attention that attracts or just walking in on a tourist visa which anyone can get, which one would you choose?<br /><br />Can anybody anywhere point to any terrorist act carried out by someone granted a refugee visa?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I heard on the radio the other day that our wonderful state of California wants to issue the license to the illegals. They say it promotes income for the state. Is the person that is persueing that thought deaf on the national security and the problems with the illegals using our health care? I don't think the income generated will balance out the loss of money on health care and other programs they can get.<br /><br />As for the fault of 9/11, it shouldn't be on our federal government, but on the states that issued the drivers license. Has anyone ever tried to get a check cashed without one and nowdays you have to have two forms of ID before getting a job.<br /><br />Yep, I say it is the people who issued the drivers license to the terroists is at fault for 9/11.

D

DJ

Isn't your buddy GW pushing for legalizing illegals? So why waste money on a stupid fence if the gates are wide open?<br />
That is PART of the plan. What are we supposed to do with upwards of 30 million of them? You have to find out who and where they are.<br /><br />Another part of "W" s plan is to let them come and go, as they please, with documentation. That's what most of them want anyway. They don't want to live here, they just want to come and work for a season and go back home. How do I know, I talk to them all the time.<br /><br />Again, we need a method to know know where and who they are. <br /><br />Another part of the plan is to close the borders with documented access, as described above.<br /><br />The Senate will kill this thing.