Hours vs. miles

Homerr

Commander
I've often wondered this...<br /><br />How many 'boat hours' compares to 'car mileage' ?<br /><br />For example, my boat has 131 hours on it, and it's a 2001. I'm thinking of trading it in for a fishing boat, and I was wondering if the hours I have on it is good, bad, etc...<br /><br />Your typical car gets used about 12,000 a year.<br />Once you get up in the higher mileage range, the value drops off significantly... <br /><br />Does the same hold true for boats since you really can't judge mileage?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Hours vs. miles

great question. always thought the same. for cars, i'd like to see both numbers. really, have you ever looked at a used car and the guy says, "it has lots of miles, and they're all city driving." no, we all lie and tell them it's all highway miles. if you had hours, you'd have something to compare. as for a comparison, no idea my friend.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Great question. Most machinery is maintained/judged by hours, i.e. airplanes, excavators, tractors. All cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. should have tamper-proof clocks.

dolluper

Captain

So your 40 some hours a year divided by the months used by the speed you travel [average] in the boat plus the time idling at dock or fishing and you end up with ________ I would guess your doing 800 or so miles a year plus idle

JRJ

Commander

I say 131 hours on a 4 year old boat is low hours. I hope you get to put more time on your new boat :cool: A s.w.a.g. would equate 131 hours to around 6,550 miles in a car at 2 hours per 100 miles.

Homerr

Commander

LOL... Funny that you mention more time on my boat JRJ...<br /><br />Seems like every time I try to take it out, something comes up.<br />One year we had forest fires just about everywhere and couldn't handle the smoke... <br /><br />Another year the water levels were so low you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting another boater.<br /><br />I'm close to the coast, but this boat just isn't made for the ocean and I don't want to ruin it in the salt.<br /><br />I have hopes to trade it up to a fishing boat.<br />I should have bought a fishing boat in the first place, but the family wouldn't have it :) (Okay.. the Wife wouldn't have it :eek: ) <br /><br />I checked the value of my boat, and it's about $17k. I was just curious what the amount of hours meant vs. trade-in.<br /><br />I would certainly think 131 hours is very low on a 4 year old boat. Heck, it really isn't even broken in yet.<br /><br />Now I'm off to look for that fishing boat :) <br /><br /><br />Thanks for the help...<br /><br />H.

JRJ

Commander

Make sure the new boat holds plenty of fuel so you can get away from the smoke and low water :eek: The ocean is a lot of fun. Be careful out there.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

11 years ago when I was shopping for a new/used pickup my second question was "How many miles are on the Sonoma?"A different salesman nearby said "You don't buy an odometer!" My response was "That's funny since I have to trade one in!!"<br /><br />I bought the Sonoma with 48,000 miles and traded it back this Christmas with 160,000.It served me well for 11 years.<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY BOATING DREAMS<<<<<<<

D

DJ

The auto industry standard is: 0ne hour equals 30 miles.<br /><br />That standard remains true whether; idling or under load (PTO, etc).

NYMINUTE

Captain

Maybe the EPA would like to go to hours per gallon? Take about a cluster-***k

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

For cars & aircraft engines, time spent idling (and taxiing) isn't counted, I assume because the load on the engine is insufficient to cause significant wear. Should be the same for boat engines.<br /><br />But for fishing boats, lots of the wear & tear to the interior (including exposure to elements) happens with the engine shut off. And they get lots of down time (meaning atrophy). Plus which, you got trailer and some boat components that get stressed with road miles and launch/retrieval. Just like aircraft components that get measured by trips (takeoffs & landings). <br /><br />So, you need a system for tracking storage time, road miles, launch/retrieval cycles, time on the water, and engine time while under way (time since new and time since overhaul). Call 'em ST, RM, LRC, OTW and TSN & TSO. And a federal regulatory agency within the USCG, the Federal Boating Administration (FBA), tasked with enforcing compliance of the new boating recordkeeping guidelines (BRG). Any boat built before 2006 can utilize a manual logbook, but later models must be equipped with electronic...<br /><br />...sorry, got a little carried away there. :D :D

D

DJ

Jtexas wrote:<br /><br />
For cars & aircraft engines, time spent idling (and taxiing) isn't counted, I assume because the load on the engine is insufficient to cause significant wear. Should be the same for boat engines
I disagree. "Idling" is the most detremental thing you an do to an engine.<br /><br />The trucking industry has gone to electronic systems that do not allow for this. For good reasons:<br /><br />1. Fuel saved.<br /><br />2. Engine wear. That's why todays truck engines go 1M miles between overhauls as opposed to 250K.<br /><br />3. Evironmental.<br /><br />With that said, most "progressive" trucking companies have gone to "pony" engines running cab heat and other essential power needs. A two cylinder diesel burns one heck of a lot less fuel than a six cylinder (12L or better) main propulsion unit idling.<br /><br />All the "old" truckers out there will hate me for the statements just made.<br /><br />I say, get into to todays environment-political and real. <br /><br />"Idling" diesels is WASTEFULL.<br /><br />Read the owners manual. ALL, will say, "extensive idling is NOT necessary nor beneficial".

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

DJ, you mean idling other than during actual travel, right? Like leaving the rig running while loading or stopped for a meal or even overnight, maybe to provide electricity for HVAC or whatever? Idling is harder on an engine than not running, but surely the engine idle time during actual travel is less stressful than actual driving?<br /><br />Commercial aircraft engine maintenance programs are typically driven by flight hours (wheels leave the ground until they touch down again) except components that are particularly stressed during takeoff and/or landing, which are limited as to cycles (cold start, take-off, landing, shut down). Ground power is almost always provided by either an auxiliary onboard engine or a generator on the ground. Taxi time & idle time are irrelevant.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

As far as an outboard, I don't think you could consider hours the same as a car. In your boat your running wot across the lake pushing 5 to 6 grand on the tach. Now you jump in your car and obeying the speed limit most cars only run at 2000 to 2500 rpms. My taures runs 2500 at 70 mph.