Hottubs, if you have one, do you like it?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I am thinking about expanding our deck and that would include a hottub. But they are not cheap. I don't want to spend 5K for a pretty pond that never gets used. Right now I feel like I would use it every day. But one year from now, will I feel the same way?<br /><br />If you have one, do you use it and are you happy you spent the cash. Do you use it as often now as when it was brand new?<br /><br />thanks, pointer

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hottubs, if you have one, do you like it?

In this part of Texas and this time of year any stock tank is a hot tub Pointer. :) <br /><br />Youngest Daughter had a hot tub. It spent most of the time waiting for service on the plumbing. She dumped it and put in a swimming pool, which gets lots of use about 9 months of the year, day and night.<br /><br />My recollections of Janesville weather says an outdoor hot tub might be useful from late May to mid September. I wouldn't put 5 Grand into any summer-only recreational device that doesn't float.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Pointer, we have one. I re-did the attached garage and put it in there. Try to use it ever day right before bedtime, makes me sleep a little better.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A buddy of mine has a hot tub and he gave me these helpful words of advice:<br /><br />"Chris, NEVER buy a hot tub. They are a pain in the A** and cost more than they're worth."<br /><br />These were words from a guy that has parties that involve young naked girls, and wife, in the hot tub. So I'll never get one, but I do take the camera with me to his parties when I can ;)

Tyme2fish

Commander

I've had one for over 7 years. Love it. Not that much work to upkeep it.

Link

Rear Admiral

A: Buy used, pennies on the dollar that way<br />B: A no manual work cover. Flips up from one side or lifts straight up over head with ropes.<br />C: Install it so you can get to and from it naked or at least once you get there you can drop your robe without being in the public eye :D .<br /><br />Not trying to be funny with "B&C" Pointer, These are the ones that get used the most. <br />At least in our area this is true. Have a friend who sells and installs them. And thats what he had to say. Makes since if you think about it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have had one for years and it is great in the Winter. I do not use any chlorine based chemicals only peroxide based. http://www.baquacil.com/default.asp I drain it (drained at this time of the year) and shut it down for the summer. Mine is a 4 person square one and uses about 250 gallons of water and about $20/month of electric.<br /><br />Consider carefully where you place it so you can get to and from nude. You will have to install a monster GFCI circuit but worth every penny.<br /><br />Bob

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I'm with Bob_VT. When we lived up north they we used them through out the cold weather seasons, late fall through early spring. Great fun and good times can be had. On the other hand they sat idle in the rest of the time.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have had one for 5yrs love it, great for back pain leg pain etc. You can find them alot cheaper then 5,000. Ours was a left over model sits 6 and was less then 1,000. Be carefull of the guy pitching the sale, they'll have you buying everything{chemicals etc} except the kitchen sink. It's a personal choice as to what type of chemicals to use I personally use chlorine, never had any problems.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Link:<br />C: Install it so you can get to and from it naked or at least once you get there you can drop your robe without being in the public eye :D
That is why I re-did the garage, can get to it from inside the house however your dressed, or not.. :D

txswinner

Banned

Got a tub, Filling it now for winter, never use in summer but 2 to 3 times a week in winter. Nothing like hot tub and then to bed. On the naked thing not a problem for me, my neighbors will only look once!!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by txswinner:<br />On the naked thing not a problem for me, my neighbors will only look once!!!!
Exactly. :D :D

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Originally posted by txswinner:<br />On the naked thing not a problem for me, my neighbors will only look once!!!!
Exactly. :D :D
I don't so much mind um look'n...........it's the point'n and laugh'n I could do without. :p :p

FLATHEAD

Captain

I use mine only in the winter also. It's nice to have after a hard day at work. Would I buy one again?? Probably not. It just does not get used enough.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I can't get over how many just use them in the winter. Man they sure are relaxing anytime, IMO.<br />I just adjust my temp setting in the summer and turn it back up in the winter.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the responses guys. This is a luxury, and I am sure that it would be nice, just trying to look at the enjoyment vs. the cost factor. As fall is around the corner and nights will be getting cooler in the next month, thinking about whether to pull the trigger or not. My feelings about this are kind of like this thread. I guess I will have to see how the next two months go.<br /><br />Still unsure of what to do.........

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if you've done this or not, but if you know people with a hot tub in your area, find out how much they use it and how much it costs them a month. Then find out how much it costs for installation and purchase. DO NOT ask the dealer for cost of using it, they'll usuaully undercut it. If you can afford to run it, then it'd say by all means go for it. I guess it's like a boat, how much are you willing to use it and maintain it to enjoy it? :)

D

DJ

I HAD one. They are a maintenance nightmare, especially in warmer climates. They breed all kinds of "funky stuff".<br /><br />I won't get into one unless I'm absolutely sure it has been meticulously maintained.

ALAG3

Seaman

Used it alot in the beginning, now just entertains the kids when they get too cold in the pool (in South Florida,....right......) I rarely get in it now.