hot wires

my 1993 merc 4.3 is giving me starting problems. Sranded me a couple weeks ago after running great all day. Shut it off for <5 minutes and then she wouldn't restart. It was turning over find but wouldn't fire. After cranking it over and over, the starter went out.

Since then I've pulled the starter and had it professionaly rebuilt. Now the motor is just barely turning over. It doesn't seem locked up or bound up since it does turn complete cycles. Just acts like it's not getting enough juice. Battery tested fine, volts and under load. I did notice that my battery cables are getting unusually hot after cranking. Can this be as simple as some worn out or corroded cables or should I prepare for worse?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: hot wires

Pull the plugs & check for signs of water intrusion in the cylinders.....;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the spark plugs out and check for signs of water on the spark plugs.

Bondo

Staff member

I did notice that my battery cables are getting unusually hot after cranking. Can this be as simple as some worn out or corroded

Ayuh,........

Corroded Cables or their ends cause added Resistence..........

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Neither your cables or starter are intended for continuous use. Let go of the key after 5-6 seconds, let things cool for 5 seconds, then try again. Clean any connections that have even a hint of corrosion and tighten securely.