Hot weather recipes

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Okay, its getting quite warm here and I know its gets even warmer where some of you live. My question... what do you fix for main meals when its hot outside and being in the kitchen is unbearable?<br />Bassy

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hot weather recipes

Here in north texas folks tend to do a lot of outside grilling during the hot summer months.<br /><br />oh! i must'nt forget to mention beer :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Salads with lots of protien: <br /><br />Cold chicken, salmon, roast beef.<br />Grated cheese; broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, spinach, cucumber, big sweet onion slices, thin sliced celery and green onions.<br /><br />Sandwiches on homemade multigrain or rye bread:<br /><br />Vegan sandwiches. Vidalia onion and beefsteak tomato with a little mayo. Lettuce optional.<br /><br />Cannibal sandwiches (thinly sliced raw filet mignon or beef tenderloin, thinly sliced beefsteak tomato and thinly sliced vidalia onions, a little mayo and/or a little horseradish). <br /><br />Not everyone's delight, but healthy, delicious and different.<br /><br />Bon appetit! :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) just finished having in order on the plate: <br /><br />Lettuce, one or a couple of lettuce leaf!!!<br /><br />Sliced tomato and cucumber [or fruits] around the edge of plate!!!<br /><br />A scoop of cottage cheese, small or large curd!!!<br /><br />And or tuna, shimp salad with chopped onion and cellery!!!!<br /><br />Or we cook on the grill and eat on the picnic table!!! ;) :cool:

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm....<br /><br />Steaks on the grill, sliced zucchini w/butter & onions wrapped in foil, placed on the top rack of grill. Then, my wife makes her internationally world famous macaroni salad! It is so good, it could be declared its own food group! :D <br /><br />Butch A.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Damn JB, (Cannibal sandwiches (thinly sliced raw filet mignon or beef tenderloin, thinly sliced beefsteak tomato and thinly sliced vidalia onions, a little mayo and/or a little horseradish).). That sounds WONDERFUL (Without the Tomato's and Onion's though... ;-) )<br /><br />I'm definately a meat eater. Can't pass up a good piece of meat, chicken, or pork.<br /><br />The way I cook a steak doesn't use a lot of heat. It goes as follows.<br /><br />Put steak on grill<br /><br />5 minutes later flip steak over<br /><br />5 minutes put steak on plate<br /><br />Then light the grill and wave steak over it a few times.<br /><br />Craig

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang JB,<br /><br />Those sandwiches made me hungry.....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Mercury140-I6:<br />Put steak on grill<br /><br />5 minutes later flip steak over<br /><br />5 minutes put steak on plate<br /><br />Then light the grill and wave steak over it a few times.<br /><br />Craig
Thanks Mercury, now have to clean the coffee off the screen.<br />I will never learn not to drink and read threads on this board. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the many ideas. I'll try quite a few of them. Hubby is a meat and potatoes kinda guy, so quite a few of these will give him the protein he needs to keep up with me during the summer. <br />Thanks all.<br />Bassy

rwise

Captain

Bar Bee Que! briscut smoked at 180* for 4 - 6 hours then put in an oven bag and finished for 10 more hours. (injected and rubed of course) Ribs (need I say more?) Chicken smoked 6 -8 hours (still 180* - 210*) fire roast onions potatoes etc etc oranges sliced 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick grilled powdered sugar over them when fliped and just a touch of cinininamamon. Apples cored and stuffed with brow sugar butter (not the fake stuff) and a little apple pie spice wrap in foil and grill about 45 minutes etc etc etc

LadyFish

Admiral

Now that some of us are harvesting our homegrown tomatoes, there is nothing better than a good BLT. Or stuff tomatoes with tuna or chicken salad for a light dinner or lunch. You might want to try this tomatoe pie recipe too with a nice salad:<br /><br />Fresh Tomatoe Pie<br /><br />1 9-inch pie crust<br />3 tomatoes, thickly sliced<br />1/2 teaspoon salt<br />1/4 teaspoon pepper<br />2 tablespoons fresh basil, torn<br />1/4 cup chopped chives<br />1/2 cup mayonnaise<br />1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese<br /><br />Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake crust 5 minutes and remove from oven. Reduce heat to 400 degrees. Line piecrust with tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil and chives. In small bowl, mix mayonnaise and cheese and mix well. Carefully spread the mayonnaise mixture over the tomatoes slices, sealing mayonnaise mixture to the edges of the pie crust. Bake 30-35 minutes until topping bubbles and begins to brown. Serve immediately. <br /><br />Serves 4-6, or only 2 if it's a main course!

HEDJUG

Cadet

This is a Cecil Co. Md. Tradion<br />Serves one.<br />1 bag of ice<br />1 block of ice<br />1 gallon of cold water<br />1 32 qt cooler<br />1 case of cold lager<br />1 beer huggie<br />1 bushel of blue claws<br />Add block of ice to 32 qt. cooler. Then carefully place beer around block. Put in ice/water and let sit for 1 hour. Enjoy.<br />Hedjug

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

A way we have prepared onions to go with the steak has always been a big hit.<br /><br />Take a large vidalia onion and use apple core tool to make a large hole in the middle. Place on tin foil, drop in a boulion cube, fill with butter, the pour cooking sherry over it all and wrap up. Put on grill before the meat at least 20 minutes prior, and cook. Burned in my opinion is better.<br /><br />Open up and place over the steak or on the side. Makes even a clumbsy fool like me look like a pretty good cook!!