Hot Water Tank sizzling noises

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
At the cottage, when the bottom element comes on, I here sizzling type noises.<br /><br />It is a 40 gallon tank that is emptied regularly(about 12 times per year).<br /><br />The sizzling sound is getting louder.<br /><br />Should I worry or can I stop it?<br /><br />The tank is located in a closet in a bedroom and it is quite loud.<br /><br />Ideas?<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

ob

Admiral
Re: Hot Water Tank sizzling noises

Probably caused from sediment build-up in the bottom of the tank.This sediment can trap heat from rising and cause sizzling and popping noises.Once it gets real bad it is difficult to access the tank through an element flange and dig loose and flush out.Might be time for a new heater.Otherwise,the heater should be flushed annually or as needed depending on how hard the water in your area is.This sediment buildup can also be exacerbated by a broke off or ruptured dip tube.The dip tube directs inlet water to the tank bottom and keeps particulates in susupension during hot water use.Most modern household heaters dip tubes are nothing more than thin wall plastic and the upper lip of the tube is prone to fracturing and breaking away from the inlet fitting.Best thing to do is just remove the lower element and flange and have a looksee into the tank to confirm.May get lucky and find a crudded over element.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hot Water Tank sizzling noises

Non-boating Tech topic.