hot tires?

powderhombre

Seaman Apprentice
old rig, 1984. new tires( still have tits) Carlyal ST185/ 80 D 13" aired to 55#, single axle. not sure of gross weight, but boat is a 17' I/O v-6 OMC 800, shorelad'r trailer. 55- 65 mph 1.5 hours drive, outside air temp about 55 degrees, even some rain. arrived home, axle hubs were cool to barely warm. tires were quite warm to touch, I would call hot. truck tires were barely warm. should mention axle is ahead of engine, good tongue weight. I'm wondering if the trailer tires are too small for the weight, or is it a normal condition? tires are rated at 1750# at 65# air. thats 3500#. I'm pretty sure the boat and trailer doesn't go that much. I'm worried about next summer when the temps and road are really hot!, anyone have any thoughts about this?

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: hot tires?

Check to ensure that the axle is square with the trailer frame. it is possible that the axle is slightly out of line causeing the tires to not run truly straight. Just a thought...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You answered your own question. You have them inflated to 55# but they are rated for maximum load at 65#. You are running them soft which causes flex which causes heat which causes "BANG". The tires are overloaded at 55 psi. Load capacity of tires depends on the pressure. They can carry maximum load ONLY at maximum pressure.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yep missed that. Need to wake my eyes up. Always inflate trailer tires to max Cold PSI...