"Hot Potato" Too young to choose

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
A pregnant 13-year-old girl in Florida has been told she cannot have an abortion because she lacks the maturity to make such a decision. <br />A state court granted an injunction which prevents the girl from terminating her pregnancy. <br /><br />She is three months pregnant and had planned to have an abortion on Tuesday of this week. <br /><br />The American Civil Liberties Union says it will launch an urgent appeal against the ruling. <br /><br />'Too young to choose' <br /><br />Florida's department of children and families intervened and took the matter to court, arguing the teenager, who is under the care of the state, is too young and immature to make an informed medical decision. Judge Ronald Alvarez in Palm Beach accepted that argument and has granted a temporary injunction and psychological evaluation, which effectively blocks her from terminating the pregnancy. <br /><br />It is a case which, once again, plays into the heated and divisive debate about abortion in America. <br /><br />The judge's ruling comes in spite of Florida state law which specifically does not require a minor to seek parental consent before an abortion. <br /><br />The American Civil Liberties Union 's executive director in Florida, Howard Simon, said forcing a 13-year-old to carry on an unwanted pregnancy to term, against her wishes, is not only illegal and unconstitutional, it is cruel. <br /><br />Is this not a case of judges legislating instead of interpreting the law?

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: "Hot Potato" Too young to choose

In light of my moral thoughts on this, I must agree with your final statement.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well this is gross!! .. the whole damn situation!!<br /><br />what a pathetic situation in all counts..<br />I wonder whats going on with the "inseminator".. at 13yrs old theres got to be some guy boy/man out there that needs his clock cleaned!.. it does take two tho .. but someone needs a good slappin'<br /><br />just my opinion tho...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Society used to hold fathers responsible for the fate of their children, and Statutory Rape was a felony.<br /><br />I think I agree with Barlow on what should be done.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I would be in jail I guess if something like this had happened to any of my girls.<br /><br />I know it takes 2 to do the dirty, but he would think twice before doing the dirty again, for a while anyway.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Is a 13 yr old girl able to get plastic surgery without parents consent?<br /><br />We have many laws in this country that limit peoples rights and privledges based on their age. They are too young to make decisions.<br /><br />Anyway, the judge didnt prevent her from getting an abortion, the judge just postponed the abortion until a psych evaluation.<br /><br />Ken

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

There was no mention of the would be father, therefore my "assumption" is that he may also be a minor :( <br />Indeed it is a very sad situation, teenage pregnancy is on the increase dispite of all the protectives and sex educational materials that are available to todays youths, as such it seems that what is severely lacking is teachings of morality, i'm left wondering what ever happened to parental responsibility?

JB

I think the judge prevented the abortion. She will be well into the second trimester before any psych evaluatiom is complete.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

So, the judge thinks she's too young to choose an abortion, but not too young to raise a child???? <br /><br />This case is sad on all fronts, there can be no winners here, regardless of the outcome.<br /><br />Chris.........

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It isn't funny when a situation like this comes around. Best intrest of the child seems to turn into best intrest of the judges to be PC. Where is the parents at on this issue. Are they or do they still have parental rights on this child? Better yet, do they know? Probably not, but now everyone else does. If this is the case, it makes it a sad one for sure.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Let the girl have the baby, then put it up for adoption. I dont expect her to raise the child.<br /><br />As for the psych eval, hopefully they could hurry it up.<br /><br />Ken

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If the girl was under the care of the state,when she had her little roll in the hay,somebody who gets paid by the state, obviously did not do his job.Is there any type of negligense action by the state against her caretaker-aka- the state?????

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I think the judge prevented the abortion. She will be well into the second trimester before any psych evaluatiom is complete.
I agree. In fact I think I agree in principle with all the posters here. I am morally against abortion as a means convenience and absolution of one's actions. However, despite my moral convictins against abortion I think this is one situation when it could be acceptable. I do have the question about who's the father. I don't think 13 would be legal no matter what his age is. Maybe she and Kenneth Brown can get together if she's forced to carry to term.<br /><br />It's sad all the way around. I can see no positive here.

Realgun

Commander

David thats what I was going to say. I honstly wonder if the interest of the child is ever considered at all the babies I mean. And with the "shortage" of children to adopt why? Why do we have to go to places like China to get a child or Russia? Kids should be tought that its ok to give a child up for adoption rather than abort the child.<br /><br />Oh well I am pro choice but my choice would be to let the child be born then give it up for adoption.<br /><br />And nobody can tell me I am not prochoice. I will stand by the decision of any other person but you will not tell me mine.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

My youngest just turned 13 yesterday and although I know it to be biologically possible, the only way I can conceive (no pun intended) of this happening is the parents' complete and utter ignorance of their daughter's activity. They should be the first to be slapped.<br /><br />In the case of the judge's decision, it was brought before him/her to decide and that's exactly what the judge did, no more no less. The aftermath of this incident will indicate whether the judge's action was appropriate and even then opinions will differ on the right or wrong of it. It is easy for us to be critical of a judge's decision based on our personal belief but judges are scrutinized from every angle and are subject to criticism no matter what the decision.<br /><br />We should direct our energy as a society to examining how something like this occurs and try to change the conditions that lead up to it rather than focus our attention on which official we should blame and why.