Hose routing ?

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I went and done it again. lol. I thought with me taking all the pictures I have been doing I would have adequate documentation. I failed to do the number one thing when tearing something apart, and that would be to read what people that have torn it apart before have said.

I took the cylinder drain hose off, to access the cylinder drains, to remove the bearings when taking out the pistons. When I did that, I noted where the hoses went, but not what end was connected at each place. So, when I went to see if the hoses were clogged, I found that one indeed appeared to be clogged. I proceeded to cut it open to see the filth inside, and found this strange little metal object. I thought "how did that get in there?", duh.

I felt like an idiot at that point. But, I have new fuel line now, and would like to replace it, but want to make sure that it is going in the right direction. It should allow flow from the cylinder drain to the intake cover, correct?

Also the manual alludes to the fact that there may be more than one check valve? The other hose that was going to the middle cylinder, black hose, has no check valve in it but it also only appears to go to the bottom cylinder crank case. The one with the check valve, red hose, went to the bottom cylinder from the cylinder drain cover. So my the question is if the black hose needs a valve also?

Picture is attached, there are three hoses in it, the long black hose is the fuel line and I am not concerned with it. Just the two short ones, red and black. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hose routing ?

Since there are three reed valves in the cylinder drain cover, one ofr each cylinder, it is not necessary to have the check valve in the red hose.

The short black hose is a pulse hose from the crankcase, #1 cylinder, to the second stage of the fuel pump. No check vave in that one as it carries both pressure and vacuum pulses. First stage pulses are delivered from cylinder #2 via the hole in the larger depression in the pump base.

The manual was probably referring to older 2 cylinder models which dumped oil overboard. These engines had check valves in the hoses.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hose routing ?

Thanks frank. So there is no need to put that check valve back in? It was there before I took it out. Also, on the reed valves in the cover, are the aluminum plates that cover them supposed to be completely flat? Or is their supposed to be a slight curve upward at the tip? It seems it would be difficult for any thing to flow through if they are completely flat, and 2 out of the 3 were slightly bent upward. Thanks again.