Hose Replacement Duration

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hose Replacement Duration

Ayuh,... Whenever 1 Blows, or when I see cracks in 'em....

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm replacing an exhaust hose now on the starboard side of my 350 Mag. Previous Owner repowered about 500 hours ago and it looks like they did a patch on the outside fo the hose. The patch is leaking so I'm replacing the hose.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I check mine yearly. When softness is noted or cracking I install new.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I replaced the water supply hose in outdrive last year, it was cracked/leaking. All others are original in my 86 They look good and dont leak. However I plan to replace lower main water pump? hose only because the internal anti-collapse spring thingy doohinky is rusting and I dont want my engine to ingest it when it breaks apart [all fresh water use in Mn B T W ]

Jake007

Seaman

The reason I ask, mine are 12 yrs old and been used in salt and fresh over the years. Always in /out trailered with engine fresh water flush after the trip. The larger hoses feel stiff like there is crusty stuff on the inside but no cracks on the hose and they look smooth. On cars, I would change all hoses at 100K miles which is typically 6 or so yrs. Is there less pressure on the boat hoses since it is an open cooling system vs the closed system on a car?

Hoses and belts are two things that can leave you stranded so I usually like to be prepared by mitigating the risk. When at the dealer about 8 months ago they looked at me strange for even asking about replacing the hoses. So I left them as is.