Horseshoeking- A question for ya

Kenneth Brown

Captain
If you have a brood mare is it absolutely required that you keep the hooves trimmed? I am looking into having a couple of them but don't necc want to spend the moeny if its not required. On one hand it seems like I should, then on the other horses have been living in the wild forever with no one trimming there feet. Any ideas ot thoughts?

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Horseshoeking- A question for ya

Ok, I picked out some horses feet, now how do I pick out a horse to match??

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hooves, nails, and teeth of some wild animals are designed to wear and grow at the same rate. I've seen pics. of horses that showed some long curly hooves when they went untrimed.

tylerin

Commander

KB. own horses and the answer is yes. you do have to trim and care for their hooves. Here in Ca. it runs about 100.00 every 6-8 weeks unless you learn to do it yourself. Most adult schools carry a farrier class. I do mostly everything for my horses including shots, worming etc. Most important part of hoof care is clean stalls, which wild horses don't have to worry about

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thanks for the info guys. Tylerin- Thats outragous. I do my own shots on the horses and dogs, cats usually don't last that long. I have trimmed before so I reckon I'll have to go get a nipper and rasp. We pay $10 a horse for a basic trim, and about $30-35 for a basic shoeing. Maybe you ought to come to Texas for horse care. I was just wondering about the broodmares that would never get ridden since there was no extra pressure on the feet.<br /><br />As a plus I had my mare palpated yesterday. She should have the colt in about 4-5 weeks. This one is definetly not a brood mare. She is extremely smart and in perfect health. She has gotten moody with the pregnecy but is coming back around to her loving self.

tylerin

Commander

Yeah Ken, thats for shoeing. I do everything myself here as well. I've even taken classes at night. Been through two pregnancies. First one I fell asleep in the barn(with a couple cool ones) and woke up and everything had been taken care of. :D

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thanks, and you just opened yourself up to a ton of future questions :)