Horns!

Leopoldo

Seaman
1987 Johnson 70. Is the VRO horn and the HEAT warning horn one of the same?...or is there (2) individuals horns for each sound?<br /><br />I grounded out the tan heat sensor wire and received no horn blast, plus I read somewhere when you turn the ignition on there is suppose to be a short bleep? No bleep!<br /><br />I get neither and any help to solve this problem would be much appreciated.<br /><br />BTW I did disconnet the VRO system..........L

ob

Admiral
Re: Horns!

Same horn.Different sending units that initiate it.If the key was in the 'on ' position when you grounded the tan lead from the temp sensor ,the horn should have sounded.The horn is either defective or the wiring to and from it is not making contact.I don't believe your engines year model had the momentary self test beep when the key is turned on.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by ob:<br />I don't believe your engines year model had the momentary self test beep when the key is turned on.
That could be ob! I will test further and thanks so much for a direction to go with...........L

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by ob:<br /> Same horn.Different sending units that initiate it.If the key was in the 'on ' position when you grounded the tan lead from the temp sensor ,the horn should have sounded.The horn is either defective or the wiring to and from it is not making contact.
Ob, am I to understand that the horn is located in the contol box?........L

ob

Admiral

That's affirmative.<br /><br />If you have one of the older side mount OMC controls ,some of them had a horn test slot under the fast idle lever.Lift the fast idle lever and see if yours has one.If so equipped,with the key in the 'on'position insert a key or similar metal object(which completes alarm horn circuit) into this slot and the horn should sound.Yours may or may not have this feature.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by ob:<br /> That's affirmative.<br /><br />If you have one of the older side mount OMC controls ,some of them had a horn test slot under the fast idle lever.Lift the fast idle lever and see if yours has one.If so equipped,with the key in the 'on'position insert a key or similar metal object(which completes alarm horn circuit) into this slot and the horn should sound.Yours may or may not have this feature.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by ob:<br /> That's affirmative.<br /><br />If you have one of the older side mount OMC controls ,some of them had a horn test slot under the fast idle lever.Lift the fast idle lever and see if yours has one.If so equipped,with the key in the 'on'position insert a key or similar metal object(which completes alarm horn circuit) into this slot and the horn should sound.Yours may or may not have this feature.
I do have the slot! I inserted a common screw driver tip into the slot and nothing happened except I blew the 20 amp fuse for the ignition and the tilt/trim! Any suggestions?

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Leopoldo,<br /><br />Sounds like you may have a shorted horn as I think the horn has power to one side and the temp. sensor or test port grounds the other terminal to make the complete circuit to the horn.<br />Unless the horn is in such a position the you touched the hot lead, if thats even possible.<br />Fortunately I have never had to dissemble mine.<br /><br />Correct me if I'm wrong fellows.<br /><br />When I test mine on my '89 48 spl the horn blows.<br />The key switch must be on.<br /><br />Beck