Horn Problem - 87 Bayliner 14,50hp Force

bay5884

Seaman
I just bought this boat, took it out for the first run on Monday. After about an hour, I tried to turn the lights on (which worked fine when I got the boat home) and the back light didn't work. It ended up just being the bulb, but while i was moving the switch for the lights that night on the lake, all of a sudden the horn started going off and wouldn't stop! I disconnected it to get it to stop that night and changed the light bulb in the back and connected the horn back up yesterday. My question is, where is the horn button on the boat? I didn't think there was one before it started going off that night, can't find it anywhere. I'm concerned that maybe it's not a regular horn, but possibly some kind of engine warning, although it continued to run fine even after this happened.Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

Re: Horn Problem - 87 Bayliner 14,50hp Force

what did you disconnect to get the horn to stop worrking.....could maybe find wires that would leasd to this.....if you disconnected the light to get the horn to stop, try and follow those wires. Or maybe get the horn to work again to see if you can hear where it is to trace wires. Good luck!!!

jrlogan11

Seaman

I hope the noise wasn't coming from your engine, but from an actual horn?? Most engines are equipped with temperature alarms that tell you that it is overheating. This would be baaaad.

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi: I have a 1989 15ft Bayliner Capri with a Force 50hp on it. There is no horn of any kind on my boat except a little hand-held unit I bought to satisfy local boating regs. My guess is that something tripped your overheat alarm, which is a horn mounted under the dash and connected to a sensor in the engine. This horn will sound if your engine gets too hot. You need to check your engine for overheating (during daylight hours so you can see what you are doing) Make sure there is a good spray of water coming out of the exhaust relief ports (small holes in back of lower leg). Replace your thermostat and water pump impeller just to be safe. If the engine doesn't seem to be heating up, check to see if there is a short in the wiring to the alarm horn, and check the sensor when the engine is cold. Should be open circuit. Don't run this motor until you are sure that it's not overheating. Best of luck!

bay5884

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I found out what this horn under the dash was after all...motor overheated and shut down yesterday. See the new post "87 50hp force overheating" if you can help me out from here!