Hook up 2nd amp?

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to be installing a second amp and was wondering if I should run another set of wires all the way to the battery, or can I run both off the same power and ground wire? I beleive the wires are 8awg...

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hook up 2nd amp?

I would run another set. You can get an amp install kit w/all wires and fuses from Boss Audio on Amazon for under $20.

NYBo

Admiral

It all depends on the power requirements of the amps.

pimpmyboat

Recruit

It really depends on the power its drawing, but ya run new wires. if you do use the same get a distribution block

TSL812

Cadet

Unless they are small amps 8ga is probably not going to be enough. What make and model are the amps? How long are the cables? I would go ahead and run 4ga to distribution blocks and 8ga from the blocks to the amps (unless you have large amps). One thing to keep in mind when buying power cable is that you get what you pay for. The cheap kits usually have smaller wire with thick insulation to make it look bigger.

remarkable53

Cadet

How "big" are the two amps? Is one a 4channel and the other a 1 channel for a sub? How far away from the battery(s) are the amps? If they are more than 5' from the battery and are of moderate or smaller wattage (under 350 watts rms) than consider running 1 run of 4AWG and terminate it at the amps with a fused distribution block with the appropriate fuse for each amp.