Honest question - What do you think about this..

rogerwa

Commander
Vegas Vacations <br /><br />Tuesday, September 06, 2005<br />By Brit Hume <br /> Now some fresh pickings from the Political Grapevine: <br /><br />Mayor Ray Nagin (search) says that with National Guard troops in place in New Orleans, he's sending some overworked police officers and firefighters on Las Vegas vacations. Nagin says 1500 first responders will get $200 in cash for the trip, along with free hotels, restaurants, and Vegas shows. <br /><br />The mayor also blasted critics who suggested granting such vacations in a time of crisis constitutes a dereliction of duty, and a call to party, saying, "New Orleans is a party city. Get over it." That philosophy was echoed by French quarter residents already planning next year's Mardi Gras (search) celebrations, one of whom says, “We'll always have something to parade

D

DJ

Re: Honest question - What do you think about this..

Send them from one cesspool to another. The mentality of that mayor is unbelievable. In typical Louisiana fashion, he's "fishin" for a freebie, for himself. He should be behind bars.<br /><br />I spend a week a month in Las Vegas.<br /><br />The differnce between Vegas and NO, is MONEY.<br /><br />Money hides all kinds of crimes. Vegas is GOOD at that. NO, was not. They were blatant thieves/murderers, etc. Vegas thugs are not seen.<br /><br />All-VERY CLEAN.<br /><br />You know what they say: "What you do in Vegas, stays in Vegas!" That may very well be your body/soul/money, etc.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Listen to some of those emergency workers' stories...they deserve it. I won't judge harshly any who take 'em up on it. <br /><br />Las Vegas ain't my kind of place, but lots of my friends whose opinions I respect love to go there, so who am I to judge?<br /><br />as to the mayor's statement "New Orleans is a party city..." I say: true dat; laissez le bons temps roulez!<br /><br />but it's a pretty stupid thing for a mayor to say.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Actually, for the officers that really did their job properly, they deserve it.<br /><br />DJ your pretty critical of all these places, Id hate to see what you think of my hometown.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

For pete's sake. The water's not gone. The survivors/bodies haven't been recovered. I guess he figures that the ^&*(*((&^&%% Fed's finally showed up, he can return to his p-a-r-t-y lifestyle?? <br /><br />What the %^&*?<br /><br />Am I the ONLY one that sees a concern over this?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

DJ, he's got thousands of Nat Guard in there, water won't be gone for 80 days, bodies not discovered til the water's gone...these guys worked round the clock for 4,5,6 days...their homes are destroyed, families evacuated to other cities...some of 'em won't go 'til it's done, but some of 'em might need it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Actually, for the officers that really did their job properly, they deserve it.
Does that include the ones that were filmed in WalMart KIZ? :p

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think the message sucks and the mayor's an idiot. I also think these guys need to maintain their motivation levels and anything that keeps these guys pumped is good!!! Vegas? Just doesn't seem quite right to me.<br /><br />BTW, we do Vegas once a year or so. Usually a conference or a 40th birthday party :rolleyes: Two nights max and we're done. The place is definitely creepy in many ways . . .

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have been to Vegas 3 times.<br />Man them lights were sure pretty as I was passing thru.

rogerwa

Commander

My initial observation on this was that it seemed ill-timed. Its only been a week. I'm all for rewarding peolple for going above and beyond. this just seemed strange to me..

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

gotta wonder where the money is coming from to fund this and wondering why that money isnt being put to use in the rescue efforts. Why is it being put aside for vacations for good work not yet finished.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

These guys do need to have some time off, but it is the wrong trip at the wrong time. <br /><br />As for Vegas, been there many times, and even considered opening an office there. If you leave the strip, it is not a bad town, its clean, new, and very busy. <br /><br />I like the climate. Very hot and dry. Still close enough to Lake Powell and Lake Mead is right there.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

wow i worked 4 storms last year 24/7 here in florida, was all over this state ..........can i go to las vegas? :eek:

KRS

Banned

My opinion:<br /><br />I do my job.... and I don't get a free vacation. If you don't like the job or the benefits aren't good, QUIT and find another job. Stop looking for handouts.<br /><br />Just because the job became difficult or gruesome doesn't mean than are entitled to something more than a paycheck. If they don't like it, they have a vote against their employer called "quitting".

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

az how long have you been on the job? working on my 18th year here. Braxton

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I think Nagin is doing his best to keep votes. Its too late. Those that voted for him probably drowned due to his failure to get them out. Truth be known, it was probably those that were on government aid that voted him into the position. Being popular with the people doesn't mean they know what they will do when an emergency like this happens.<br /><br />Side note: When a hurricane reaches Cat 5 and stays that way for awhile, it has already put its strength into the tidal storm surge. When the winds died down to a Cat 3, that didn't mean the tidal storm surge dropped down to that level. NO was still hit with a Cat 5 storm surge. <br /><br />Example: Your cruising in your boat and the wake is at its max. When you pull your throttle back and stop, does the wake stop immediately? Apparently the authorities down there have no experince with what wind driven water does.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nagin is a typical politician, he screwed up and now he'll do ANYTHING for anybody to get positive press to get re-elected, which is really a politician's only job. Always remember, it's YOUR money these genuises spend (waste). :rolleyes: