Hone Cylinder walls?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
should I hone the walls before I install new rings? There is some surface rust. I have a Merc 470 190hp... <br /><br /> :confused:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hone Cylinder walls?

..some rust...? <br />You should make sure the walls are as good & clean as at all possible.

f_inscreenname

Commander

some rust!!! If there is any rust your new rings will last about 10 seconds.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just wanted to be sure <br /><br />THANKSSSSS :) :)

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rust in a Merc 470? Isn't that an aluminum block? Maybe with sleeves? If it is a sleeve engine go ahead and hone. If all aluminum you want to talk to a shop who does this. You have to be VERY careful honing aluminum. Either way you want to do something about the rust.

Bondo

Staff member

jlshields,<br />They Have to have Sleeves........<br /><br />An Aluminum Cylinder would last Minutes.......

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry Bondo. Lots of engines have aluminum blocks with no sleeves. Have for years. Especially air cooled small engines. Ever been inside a Brigg & Stratton? Tecumseh? Clinton? And they run a lot hotter than water cooled marine engines. Talk to a shop guy. They usually don't hone alum clyinders. They have a glaze in them that honing destroys.

LubeDude

Admiral

If its got rust, IT AINT ALUMINUM, Also if you have to ask if you need to hone the cylinders before re-ringing, What are you doing rebuilding an engine anyway. Dont get me wrong, Im all for someone doing it yourself, but there are a LOT of things to rebuilding an engine other than just putting a bunch of new parts together that Im thinking you dont have a clue to. :eek:

Walt T

Lieutenant

Right on Lubeadude, I didnt want to say anything.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, I never did have much tact, I just hate to see someone waste a bunch of money and have the thing self destruct when he tries to fire it up. Probably never heard the term, "Pre Priming". I honestly hope Im wrong.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on Lubeadude, I didnt want to say anything. <br />
and let me guess you both were born with oil running through your blood? righhhtttt... I mean I respect your knowledge you have NOW, but you had to start from the beginning as I am doing!! (if I am wrong please stop me)<br /><br />how will I ever learn if I dont try?<br /><br />DieselWalt, u really shoulda spoke up sooner!! I never did like a follower...<br /><br />anyways... thanks to all that have helped me, appenertly you have to to be a "certified mechanic" to post on this board. anyone know where I can find a board for people new to mechanics??

LubeDude

Admiral

CaptKid:<br /><br />We may have been a little hard on ya, but what we said still holds true. We admire you for wanting to do it yourself. The best thing you could do would be to get a manual about the engine in question. Most have a section on re-building. Read it, and re-read it, and read it again. If you are going to continue with this project, we will be here to give you all the support you need. Buy a cheap engine stand, you do not want to do this on the floor. I remember the first 283 Chevy I rebuilt, I followed the Hot Rod Magazine on how to rebuild your first engine. I did everything right, except to check the end gap on the rings, Turned out I had the wrong ones, The engine was boared .60 over and I had stock. I had to tear it apart and re-ring it with the right ones. It did run however, but boy did it have blow by when I pulled a hill. <br /><br />You are right, you have to start somewhere.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LubeDude<br /><br />I have a Merc Service Manual, and I have the engine on a stand, and I have a brother that is a gearhead. So I have most of my bases covered.<br /><br />I dont like doing things twice so thats why I ask questions. Sometimes stupid ones. but if it prevents me from having to tear down the engine to put the proper rings in ;) , then I see the questions as being valid. <br /><br />I mean any fool can read a manual, but I feel peoples experiences are much better at telling the truth.

Bondo

Staff member

WOW,<br />LubeDude, Thanks for Defending My Honor, with the Rusty Aluminum Cylinders............... ;) <br /><br />A Little Too Much Caffine today ????<br />Don't be Pickin' on My little Maineiac Buddy.......<br />I've been Looking Up the Answers to All his Dumb Questions for a week now...... <br />I Know More about the 470s than I Ever Wanted Too..... Now....<br />He seems to Know the Answer, He just needs Confirmation.......... ;) <br /><br />I Still Think He Shoulda brought the Whole thing to a MachineShop......<br />But,........ It's His Money............. :p <br /><br />I'd have Already Dropped a Small Block Chevy in there by Now.......... :D