Honda towing vehicle - will it do it??

binduni

Cadet
Is anyone using a Honda Odessey to tow with? I'm curious how much weight you may be towing and how well it does. Looking at using my 2001 Odessey to tow a 20' Wellcraft & trailer, about 3,400# - near the 3,500# capacity!<br /><br />Also curious how it does pulling the thing out of the water & up the ramp, being front wheel drive.<br /><br />Thanks!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Honda towing vehicle - will it do it??

Hi Phamly Man,<br /><br />Welcome aboard!<br /><br />Important question: does the trailer have brakes ?<br /><br />I presume that the car is auto trans, which is best for towing.<br /><br />With that boat, I think you're right up the top end of your car's towing capability - the grey area where different people will answer either way about whether to do it or not. Brakes makes a big difference, since it's a heavy boat for your size of car. Personally I think you need a bigger vehicle or a smaller boat.<br /><br />Front wheel drive is not so good on the boat ramp - you will probably find that it skids a lot. 4WD is best, followed by Back WD, followed by Front WD.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, PM.<br /><br />No. You will ruin your vehicle and be in grave danger of having the trailer take control away from you. Tow ratings are very optimistic and should be used as a guide for short distance, flat terrain and shallow, dry ramps.<br /><br />If you have surge brakes, stay at or below 2/3 of the published rating. Without brakes, don't exceed half of the tow rating.<br /><br />The Odessey is a car-based vehicle. You need a truck or truck-based vehicle to safely tow over 3000lb. 4X4 is very helpful on any ramp and essential on steep, wet ramps.<br /><br />Sorry. It's just my experienced opinion. I hope this doesn't screw up any plans. Better, it may change to safer plans.<br /><br />We will now hear from half a dozen guys who tow more with less and are still alive. You need to hear their opinions, too.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

What may often be the biggest surpise even when well under the max. allowed limit, it the stress on all systems (especially clutch on manual trans), when pulling car+trailer+boat weight up a ramp. These seconds can cost you a clutch or at least leave you in a bad smell of overheated pads.<br /><br />Different countries has different rules on car/trailer weight ratios. Here, in Denmark, there's two set of rules to watch: The car must be certified for the load AND the drivers license must cover the total weight. Any license for normal cars have a limit of 3,5 tonnes all in all.<br /><br />Means that a 4X4 towing a medium size boats exceeds the limit. There are add-ons to the license to cope with this.<br /><br />Just to show, that the suitability of a vihicle can be very different from given numbers....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The odessy is only 4300 lbs. Your brake system will NOT support an additional 3400 lb boat trailer without proper trailer brakes. The vehicle will also require a weight distributing hitch.<br /><br />The front wheel drive will pull a shallow ramp but with difficulty. Your weight distribution will be concentrated on the rear wheel thus reducing traction. Your transmission would probably require a cooler too.<br /><br />Sounds like a nice boat and car. Invest a few dollars in an older 4x4 pickup to tow the boat. Let the significant other drive the car with the kids. The margin of safety will be better for all involved. <br /><br />It will be cheaper in the long run for a tow vehicle. <br /><br />Bob

albany joe

Cadet

what model boat and motor do you have?<br />a 20 ft boat by itself should weight 2500-3000 lbs before the trailer, the gas, and the additional odds and ends.<br />i think you need a better tow vehicle.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

To Phalmy Man, You have opened up a can of worms by towing with a front wheel drive. <br />I know the capacities of the Honday Odessey from my towing guide. 2002 has 240 hp and 2001 has 200 hp 3.5 litre v6. The older vans have much less power and should not tow more than 2000#. The more power you have - the better it will handle the hills and highway but front wheel drive will give you problems on the ramp with a big boat like that. You do not say what type of hitch you have. If you have surge brakes you can't use a weight distribution hitch. If you do have electric brakes and your hitch can handle the weight platform USE IT or get one. This will help transfer some weight back on to the front wheels which you need for traction pulling up the ramp. This type of hitch will also make the van much safer to drive with no sway when you get passed by transport trucks on the highway or experience medium winds. <br />If your boat and trailer are 3400# fully loaded with a full gas tank on the boat, then you are near your limit. If you load the van with people then you will exceed what the van can handle and tow safely. If you are over the 3500# even with a weight platform hitch, you run the risk of an accident or a legal nightmare with law enforcement if they ever check, not to mention insurance questions!!<br />INSTALL ANOTHER TRANSMISSION COOLER for ANY towing with Front Wheel Drive. Have your transmission serviced every year.<br />Towing can be exciting, just keep your distance and ALLWAYS, ALLWAYS check your trailer brakes as per your trailer brake manual or by a mechanic. The van may not stop for a long time with a load like that and safety means you can ALWAYS boat another day and the day after that too.<br />Good luck getting to your favorite spot(s).

binduni

Cadet

Thanks all for the replys! It was your overwhelming response that convinced me to go get a real "rig", much to my wife's chagrin. Just picked up a 1999 GMC Yukno with more towing capacity than I'll ever need, plus 4x4 to go anywhere.<br /><br />I really appreciate the feedback! :)