Honda Guru Needed

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice
I would appreciate some advise as a local dealer doesn't know up from down over the phone. I have a 2001 Honda BFP9.9D tiller with electric start and XL shaft. I have a specialty boat that would benefit from being able to drive from EITHER the front or rear of the boat. I bought a stick steer mechanism and Honda makes a clamp on hardware kit for remote steering. Thus, it seems a simple matter to add stick steering which will allow directional control from the front or back of the boat. So far so good. <br /><br />Here comes the hard part. What has to be done in order to add a control box for starting and throttle control from the front of the boat? Are the factory control boxes with cables and wires designed for this motor readilly installed on a non-remote motor? What parts are needed? There is an open port on the right side of the motor clearly intended for remote control. But, is there a bunch of internal hardware needed? Can the trottle and starter be easily hooked up? Once this is done, can the throttle be controlled by either the tiller or remote (I was told "yes, no problem" by the dealer, but he seemed confused about what needed to be done to hook up the control box to this particular motor.<br /><br />HELP!!! Answers from Honda experts would be GREATLY appreciated. Those control boxes are expensive and I would hate to buy one and find out this idea was just a wild hair.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda Guru Needed

With the classic 8s it can be done with a simple kit but with the D series engine I am afraid Honda has taken an either or attitude.The cutouts and plugs are there but the wireing,retainers and anchors for control cables are not and to my knowledge are not available as a conversion kit.I know I have been confronted with this before and left someone feeling they could NOT have the best of both worlds.You might have a little hope as you are an electric.I,ll check it out tomorrow.There might be something I am not picturing perfectly at this moment.

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice

Hondon,<br />Thanks for the reply and looking into the matter further. It sure would be nice if remote could be added in addition to the tiller.

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice

**BUMP**<br /><br />How about throttle only? How hard would it be to just rig that up to go along with stick steering on the late model Honda 9.9?