Honda BF90D Water Pump Testing - Water pouring out of the side covers - Is this normal?

Dcav66

Cadet
I changed out the water pump on my Honda BF90D using the basic kit. Everything looked normal inside the housing and associated parts with no excessive wear or tear on anything. The motor only has 350ish hours on it and this is the 2nd water pump replacement I have done on it. Everything went/seemed normal during the replacement, but when doing a test afterwards on the hose/bucket, I noticed excessive water is pouring out of the bottom of the side covers/cowlings. So I pulled the cowlings off and the water is coming out of the 2 holes on the starboard side of the extension case where the drive shaft is housed. Here is a video of what it's doing:

What are these holes called and/or used for? The motor is not over heating and the pee stream is super strong and appears to be circulating throughout the motor just fine. I took lower unit apart again to see if there were any obvious issues or damage, but everything things looks normal. No cracks in the WP housing and the seals/gaskets look good. So what could be causing so much water to flow out of the holes? Could a faulty Water Pressure Relief Valve cause this or is it something else?

ahicks

Captain
I wrote my thoughts in the other forum where you posted this issue.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you remember a new seal where the pickup tube goes into the pump? I would also double check that the pump housing is not cracked and is sealing properly to the wear plate.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With motor ON and removed cowl check if the base where the crankcase sits on pan has accumulated water, if so, torque back all lower bolts that locks the crankcase on pan, if the issue continues may have already a shot base gasket that will need to be replaced ?

Happy Boating

Dcav66

Cadet
Issue Resolved – Installing the complete water pump kit fixed the issue (06193-ZZ0-000). Here is the latest video that shows the troubleshooting steps from start to finish:

Thanks everyone for your help!