Honda BF50 Tach Installation

newf1

Seaman
Could someone please give me some advice on hooking up a RPM gauge on my 2001 BF50?

I got a gauge from the dealer here in town which has three wires, grey, black and yellow, and black for the actual guage. The light wires are red/white and black.

I am not sure where these would blug in for the tach, the wires for the light is not a huge concern. The old tack is missing.

I could not find info in the owners manual

Thanks

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Honda BF50 Tach Installation

The view I get from my wiring diagram is that there are corresponding connectors/pigtail at your remote control box. The colors will match those of your tach.
The illumination wires will go to your light switch and ground.

newf1

Seaman

This motor is a tiller model. There is no control box and when I look under the front of hood I can not find the corresponding wires. I can however see where the shop wired in the remote tilt switch.

Should I be looking under the black electrical cover located on the left side of engine?

Thanks again.

Skinnywater

Commander

black electrical cover located on the left side of engine
That's called the electrical bracket. Again refering to the wiring diagram the wires that go to the tach on a remote controlled BF50 ultimately do go through that bracket.
However, the tiller operated doesn't appear to have any provision at all. The needed wires aren't even run as to even dead-in into the bracket, except for the gray wire.
The black wire on your tach is ground, the black yellow switched 12v and the gray goes to the regulator/rectifier/indicator light circuit and can be found in the electrical bracket.
Be awarethere are two additional gray wires in there and they run together from the charge coil under the flywheel.
The gray wire that goes to the indicator light is the one you're after. Catch it at the electrical bracket.
I could not find info in the owners manual
Check out pages 103-105 in the owners manuel.

lloyds4383

Recruit
Tach lesson learned

Tach lesson learned

On the Honda BF 50 outboards, the Japanese supplied wiring looms have a fuse at the end nearest the guage. When the looms later were supplied by American Honda they are located about a foot out of the remote controller. In some boats that would put them behind the hull liner, as in the C-Dory like mine. A 7.5 amp fuse in a square Bosch holder.