Honda BF40 vs BF50. What the difference ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barsik

Recruit
Hi all.<br />Im an owner a Honda BF40 (2003) outboard.<br />Look at this refs: http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF40 <br /><br />and<br /><br /> http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF40 <br /><br />BF40 and BF50 have the same Displacement (808 cc) and the same bore & stroke sizes (70x70 mm).<br /> Is there anybody who can tell me why BF50 have more HP than BF40 ? How it can be ? Both motors use an same fuel (92 octane) and should have the same compression rate. How it gain more HP ?<br /><br />I suggest that it have difference in carburater jet pipes.. Or im wrong &

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda BF40 vs BF50. What the difference ?

Pezdoball,<br />Welcome to the forum!<br /><br />If you do a search on this subject, you will find that this question has been asked many times.<br /><br />Basically, the carbs are different, the 50 has a different cylinder head with larger valves, and the cam shaft is different.<br /><br />The cost of the parts alone make it prohibitive from performing an upgrade. Now if you happen to have an old 50 lying around, you could easily swap the parts and get the additional HP. :D :D <br /><br />Not the answer you wanted, sorry :) <br /><br />Nav :cool:

Barsik

Recruit
Re: Honda BF40 vs BF50. What the difference ?

Thank Nav. Complete answer.<br />Im sorry, but im not so skilled in English to formulate right search query.<br />Thanks anyway.

Steve390Gold

Cadet
Old thread that will be locked shortly, but I wanted to set the records straight.

BF40 vs BF50 (at least the carburated models, EFI models would likely only need a reflash) the ONLY difference is the carbs. Same Cylinder head, same Camshaft, same exhaust, same cdi, same EVERYTHING. I've gone part number by part number through the engine and the carbs are the only discrepancy.

Thanks have a great day! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.