Honda BF15 dies at 5 minutes at idle

johnny81

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Honda BF15 that starts and runs absolutely fine. The only time I have a problem is when it is sat at idle for 5 mins or so when the motor coughs a few times and then dies (this can be either in neutral or running in gear at minimum revs). If i give the in line fuel bulb a few pumps the motor starts right back up again.
I presume this is a failing fuel pump - but just wanted to check I wasn’t ignoring something else before buying an unnecessary new part.
It will run all day at medium to high revs.

ahicks

Captain
It does sound like it's going lean - or possibly it's not warming up like it should?

Are the idle mixture adjust screws adjustable? If not, are they set full counterclockwise?

When was the last time the thermostat was replaced? Carbs cleaned?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Also if squeezing the ball makes a difference, then double check all the connections and make sure none are leaking. At idle the pump isn't pumping a whole lot and a small leak could let enough air in to cause a problem, but at higher rpm's the pump will pump more and may be able to overcome the leak. No guarantees, but worth checking. The o-rings at the connectors will eventually dry out and not seal as good as they once did.