Honda 8hp salt build-up

Aground

Recruit
Last time I posted a question on this forum the responses were very helpful so thanks to anyone who can help in advance!

I have a 2005 Honda BF8D which is only used in salt water. Although there are no problems with cooling water circulation (yet), the guy who just replaced the impeller told me that there is quite a lot of salt build up in the leg. I'm quite surprised about this because I've only ever seen salt crystals accumulate in the passages in the engine block before and didn't think cooler parts would be affected. I'm also very careful to flush the motor with fresh water after every use - I run in in an 80 litre barrel for about 10 minutes and then stop it by disconnecting the fuel to make sure the carb is drained. I don't know know what the previous owner did with it for the first 4 years though. Anyway, the maintenance guy said that I should use flush muffs instead of a barrel because all I'll do is recirculate salty water around in the barrel. So here are my alternatives for flushing the motor:
1. Carry on using a barrel - I thought this would be best because it gives the thermostat a chance open
2. Use flush muffs (I'm concerned that if I get a bad seal and starve the water pump I'll create plenty more problems)
3. Use the built-in flush port on the thermostat housing

All these are possible but can anyone advise which is likely to be the most effective? Also, should I be using 'Salt Terminator' every time I flush the motor or would I be wasting money on 'snake oil'? Finally, is it worth a pre-season flush with Rydlyme to clear out any deposits while I know I can get stuff circulated through the motor?

Lots of questions but I'd be grateful for any advice as I really want to avoid a blocked engine!
Thanks.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 8hp salt build-up

Where in the leg? I have a 8HP Honda from about 1991, but I assume they are more or less similar. When I replaced my impeller, I saw a lot of hard dirt packed into the hollow chambers below the impeller, the ones from which the water is supposed to drain through small holes in the lower part of the leg. No way any draining could have occurred, so I dug it all out and flushed it. Mine has never been in salt water, but the dirt was there. If that is where you have salt, I can see that flushing wouldn't do much, since the pump never sends any water to those places (did the mechanic clear out that salt?).

I can't use muffs on mine - it needs a special hose adapter that wasn't there when I bought it, so I have to use a garbage can at end of season. But, if you can, why not? Just watch to make sure water is flowing. Though, the amount of water in the actual cooling system after you haul the boat would seem to be insignificant compared to a big barrel of fresh water, so I wouldn't think the salt concentration would be at all high using the barrel, even recirculating it.
Peter

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda 8hp salt build-up

On any leg will always find traces of salt, debris, it's normal as being close spaces that receives minimun water pressure from pump to be wiped off down the tail. What I do after removing salt debris deposits is, with a brush apply a layer of waterproof grease on top impeller housing and surrounding interior leg areas, will help to maintain salt deposits to a minimum.

It's ok to flush on a big barrel, salt deposits on engine are minimun as to contaminate all barel water. other nice alternative is to use engine flushing connector, some engines must be running, others that have no thermostats don't, probbly will need to seal with tape lower tail water intakes so to maintain a good water pressure while flushing with house water tap. Engine must be in vertical position.

Happy Boating