Honda 4stroke 90hp

the boss

Recruit
I have a 2002 Honda 4stroke 90hp, which has been giving me problems. A few weeks ago i had to have the water pump and gaskets replaced because water got into the lower unit oil. With that problem solved I was out on the bay on Saturday and it was running fine all day for crabbing. When I started it to get ready to leave smoke started to spew out of the lower unit, I think out of the prop and it blew oil out into the water. What could be wrong ?

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 4stroke 90hp

Are you sure that the water in the lower unit was from the water pump? It sounds to me like you have water in the lower unit still, the fact that you lost oil and had smoke from the lower unit could mean that it is full of water and not oil. Drain the lower unit and see what you get, oil, water or both if you have water in the unit pull the prop and look for fishing line ect around the shaft that might have cut the seal. If the lower unit looks good check the oil level of the power head and make sure that you do not have a problem up there.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 4stroke 90hp

So what happened with the rest of the day?Any clouds of smoke when you flushed this thing out or restarted anytime?This engine has a vertical crankshaft so that means that if you turn it off with the engine tilted all the way in,oil can gravity flow and puddle right in the combustion chamber.It will not take much in there to make a cloud of smoke.Try tilting this thing out a little before shutting it down or picking your pots.