Honda 130 Hard to steer

jonbrush

Cadet
Greetings, gruppe, new member here. I have an Eastern 22 with '01 Honda 130. It has the standard cable steering setup (Teleflex, I think) not hydraulic. The motor runs great with about 60 hours on it, and has no problems except this one: <br /><br />I had the motor serviced and winterized by a Honda dealer last fall. It started and ran fine this spring, except that the steering started getting stiff. I should note that I use the boat intermittently during the boating season in the Northeast, and the problem is most noticable when the boat has been sitting a while. <br /><br />It appears to me that the steering actuating rod (the part attached to the cable coming from the wheel, and then attached to the motor. Slides side to side when steering) is binding up. This part goes through a bushing or seal and does get a bit stained when sitting (salt water environment), but not pitted. I have lubricated and polished this rod and the bushing/seal, which seems to help, and have given all the Zerk fittings a shot of grease. But the steering is still much stiffer than when the boat/moter were new.<br /><br />Any ideas? TIA<br /><br />Jon

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Honda 130 Hard to steer

? what kind of grease ? down here in the salt we use grease that contains teflon as regular wheelbearing grease tends to coagulate due to salt exposure-gets like peanut butter !! :cool:

jonbrush

Cadet

I dunno about the Teflon, it's "marine grade" grease. And the problem was there before I did the greasing myself, mebbe the Honda dealer put in the wrong stuff. Can you give me a specific brand name for the Teflon stuff?<br />Jon

ZEE

Cadet

I've experienced a very similar problem with my teleflex no-feedback steering cable. The 2nd year I had it, it was almost impossible to move at the beginning of the season. Once it was free'd up, and the rod cleaned and polished, the problem seems to diminish to a slight annoyance now. I've researched the web , et.al, and can find no way to lube the teleflex cable. I think the factory lube ends up consolidating at the engine end, and with no way to introduce lube, it justs gets worse over time. The apparent solution is to replace the cable (I think!!!) but the better solution (when I can afford it!) will be hydraulic steering..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> for some reason only the boat gods know,the tube in your motor is steel. the steel tube will corrode some and expand trying to lock the stainless cable. take the cable out of the tube and run a steering tube cleaning brush through it.then use a good grease such as yamaha or merc special lube 101 or 2-4-c or OMC triple guard.<br /> good luck and keep us posted

jonbrush

Cadet

Thanks so much for the replies. I presume that taking the cable out is pretty much obvious, ie: remove the nut at the starboard side and the grease seal/nut at the port side, and release the end of the shaft from the motor rod? Is a "tube brush" available at boating supply houses?<br />Regards,<br />Jon

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

rodbolt said it- Merc 2-4-C....also-no need to take off nut opposite cable end..if the steering cable hangs in the tube you make need to persuade it :cool:

jonbrush

Cadet

Well, when I got to the boat this morning the steering was basically frozen, so I got to work.<br /><br /> After removing the steering arm and the nuts at both ends of the tube, as well as the nut at the end of the cable, I was able to persuade the cable almost out of the tube. This was done by hammering on the rod with a rawhide mallet until it was almost flush with the end of the tube, but I was afraid to go too far. Is this what you meant by "persuading"? Or is it a good idea to drive the rod right out with a drift? I had my cordless drill all ready with the steering tube wire brush chucked in and was disappointed that I didn't get to use it......<br /><br />Barring that, I sprayed a lot of Rost-Off (Wurth rust remover/ light lubricant) into the end of the tube, then turned the wheel all the way to port, then starboard, repeated ad infinitum. Did this at both ends of the tube, and lots of rust and gunk came out; eventually the steering freed right up. Then I lubed the steering rod with white lithium grease numerous times, while cycling the wheel back and forth. <br /><br />After putting everything back together the steering is like new; what a relief!<br /><br />Here's another question: Seems to me that the grease fittings on the tube are for lubricating the tilt function, not the steering tube. Pumping more grease into them just extruded grease from the "hinge" area, not out of the tube. These are the only grease fittings I could see, one on either end of the steering tube. Are there some other grease fittings? If not, what should I do to keep from having to do this job frequently? I'm thinking I should just keep the steering rod well lubricated and free of any rust.<br /><br />Ideas?<br /><br />Thanks again for all the help.<br /><br />Jon

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are right, the grease fittings are for the tilt tube not the steering. You can buy a wiper nut (port side) with a grease fitting but if you are in salt water I would pull the cable out at the end of each season, clean and relube the rod and you will be ready to go in spring.

Alex65

Seaman

EASTERNBOATER: I'm thinking about buying a Eastern 24' cuddy cabin. I would love to talk with you for 10 minutes on the phone! I simply don't know anyone who owns an Eastern boat. Your set up would be similar to ours. <br /><br />If you could spare a few minutes it would be so appreciated! My e-mail address is ( AMooreonline@juno.com ) Of course, the dime would be on me. This is such a huge decision for my wife & I & we really want to get it right. Caroll Canney @ Eastern is a nice guy but he's a salesperson (so I'm I BTW) so it would great to get an owners perspective.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Alex Moore

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

That Engine is way to heavy for a cable steering system. The real problem it is over loading the helm and cable and causing it to wear prematuraly. The heavy four strokes fail cables all the time. The boat need a hydralic steering system on it. Once you trim that engine up alittle all that weight is put on that steering system. The problem happends with 70 hp four strokes never mind that 130 hp.Hydralic is much safer.

jonbrush

Cadet

Dear Brian,<br />Thanks for your comment. My question is this: After I lubed the steering tube and cable, the motor now turns smoothly and easily. I can understand how the cable would wear and break eventually if not lubed, but if that is done, am does this steering system still have a safety issue?<br />Thanks,<br />jon

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi The tight cable thru the tilt is one problem. You can clean and grease the steering cable and make that problem go away. The second problem is that engine is too heavy for a cable system. Tilt that engine up and try to move the wheel you cant. The helm in your boat is made of cast alumium gears. It was never designed for the load of a four stoke. There is alot more weight higher up on four strokes. Above the tilt tube. I wouldnt run that boat with a cable. The extra weight wears the helm and cables. Four srokes break alot more cables.

Constancia

Seaman Apprentice

I have had this problem a couple of times. To the point that the steering froze completely. After the second time, here's what I discovered:<br /><br />The O-ring that seals the end of the pivot tube that the steering cable goes through was nicked and damaged, most likely during initial installation (I had never removed it prior). This was allowing small amounts of water to enter the tube and caused both rust and corrosion. After sitting for awhile, the steering locked up.<br /><br />The only way to correct the problem was to remove the steering cable from the pivot tube. I then soaked the end of it in WD40 repeatedly to remove the rust, forced oil up the cable, and greased it. <br /><br />As for the tube itself, it was pitted and rusted on the inside. I cleaned it several times with the rod and solution from a shotgun cleaning kit, working from either side as necessary. This did a fair job of cleaning it up, but didn't help the rough spots inside the tube. <br /><br />To clean-up the pitting and corrosion, I bought an adjustable brake cylinder hone and used it on my Makita cordless drill with some light honing oil. Took a little while, but was able to restore a nice smooth surface (except for a couple of deep pits) to the inside to the tube. <br /><br />Regreased heavily and reassembled with new O-ring, being careful not to damage it. Works like brand new again. <br /><br />IMHO, this is a ****-poor design. That a stupid 99 cent O-ring can cause this type of damage and that there is no way (no zerk fittings) to lubricate this shaft in the tube. It's now on my list of yearly must-do's for the boat -- remove steering cable from pivot tube, relube, and replace O-ring. <br /><br />Stuart

jonbrush

Cadet

Stuart,<br />Thanks so much for the help. I think my problem is exactly what you are describing, and I did most of what you did except when it comes to disassembling the steering rod from the tilt tube. I was able to get the rod most of the way out of the tube but it got *really* hard to move and I was hesitant to get out the VBH (very big hammer) and really wail on it. So I put a lot of WD40 or CRC56 type light lube in the tube and ran the steering back and forth while adding lube. It finally freed up and was working normally at the end of the season. <br /><br />Did your steering rod come out easily? If not, what did you use to "persuade" it?<br /><br />When I had the boat winterized I asked the mechanic to lube the steering. We'll see whether he did, come spring. <br /><br />FWIW, I agree that the design is really poor. Most people I talk to say the same thing, and are recommending hydraulic steering for the big 4 stroke OBs. I don't know if I'll get the steering switched over, but if the problem continues I may have to.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Jon<---in fridgid Boston, below zero F this AM

Constancia

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jon,<br /><br />First... it's a balmy 78 here today (rub, rub). I used to be an East Coast brat, so I know just how bitter that cold can be! <br /><br />On removing the steering cable shaft -- it took brute force after it was frozen. I have a baby 5 lb. sledge I refer to as the "man hammer" and that's what it took to finally break the thing free. I disconnected the arm at the end of the steering cable, then put a block of wood on the end and whacked at it until I got it to move. Not pretty at all, but nothing else worked. <br /><br />Once the steering cable had some free play again, I disconnected the large nut on the other side and gently banged the shaft into the end of the pivot tube. Once inside the tube, I used a long socket extension to keep moving it the rest of the way through the tube, until I could finally pull it freely by hand from the side with the nut. Getting it all the way out wasn't easy either because there isn't much give in the steering cable, as it is routed down from the console and bundled with the rest of the control wiring in a plastic sheath. But, I finally managed to get enough wiggle room to get the silly thing completely out of the tube. By the way, disconecting it at the console end doesn't help (sharing some hindsight here). <br /><br />My advice would be to do what I did. I thought I had fixed the problem the first time by just sliding it part way out and relubing. Didn't work. Problem came back and the steering froze tight the second time around. Now, I watch it like a hawk, but after figuring out that the O-ring was the source of the problem and fixing it, it's been okay for the past 6 months. Still, I will probably pull the cable and relube it all this spring before fishing season -- just to be on the safe side.<br /><br />I don't see a need for hydraulic steering on my boat; the manual system works fine with very little effort and is well balanced... when it's working correctly! :) <br /><br />Stay warm,<br />Stuart

jonbrush

Cadet

Yo Stuart,<br /><br />No need to gloat....<br /><br />Your answer was just what I needed, I was ready to really whack on that steering rod, but got cold feet (heh). Now I will just feel free to give it a good shot.<br />I agree that the steering is nice when well-lubed. <br /><br />Did you ever think of trying to replace the seal at the end of the steering tube?<br /><br />Also, I bought one of those easy-lube fittings (someone called them wiper nuts) which replaces the nut at the end of the outer cable. Supposedly you can lube the steering w/o having to disassemble anything. I am thinking of giving that a try, too.<br /><br />Jon