Honda 10hp wont idle low

mshirley

Cadet
This is my first boat, it has a Honda 10hp outboard on it. I think it is a 1985 motor. Motor # 1200185. It will run, but only at fast idle. I took the carb off today and cleaned it (it had a wad of junk the size of my fingertip in the bottom of the bowl), and I sprayed carb cleaner through the hoses that are connected to it, put it all back together, started it up and slowly reduced the idle (each time I reduced it I had to shoot some throttle to it to keep it from dying). At one point I had it idling pretty low & smoothly for about 3 mins., I tried to reduce it more and it died. When I restarted it I had to continuesly throttle to keep it running, I simply cannot get it to idle low. Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.<br />Mike.<br /><br />PS: Is there a site where I can plug in the motor number and get more info on it?

Neikensnest

Cadet
Re: Honda 10hp wont idle low

Don't know about a site, but you should remove the carb and clean out the jets. If there was junk in the bowl it is in the rest of the carb.

mshirley

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I don't know anything about small engines but if by "jets" you mean those small holes in the carb, I did that. I sprayed carb cleaner through every hole I could see.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Mshirley,<br /> The jets are usually behind plugs and are internal in your carb. First get yourself a manual on your motor, best 30 bucks you can speend. It will have pictures and descriptions which will answer most of your questions. It sounds like a carb problem what you are describing but since we can not see your motor it is hard to help.