Homemade Salsa

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Anyone here make their own salsa? We have competitions at work on homemade salsa and I decided to make a batch. Did the usual, green, red, yellow peppers, garlic, two kinds of tomatos, HOT peppers (habenjero's), onions, cilantro, and lemon and lime juice. A couple of seasonings and cooked for ten minutes until hot, not boiling, just hot, moved to freezer to cool, then eat.<br /><br />People liked it alot and I enjoyed making it. It had been raining here for like a year. <br /><br />Any home recipies or secrets anyone would like to share? :)

rwise

Captain
Re: Homemade Salsa

I make my own also, but it doesn't last long enuf to cook! tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, cilantro (just a little), salt (verry little), lime. chop, stir, serve! Goes best with stuff!

gaugeguy

Captain

My mouth is watering already. My recipe is just about the same as Pointers, except no yellow peppers, I use jalepenos instead of habeneros (I can take it, but the kids aren't into really hot stuff yet) and I also add a little bit of diced apples to give it a little tartness.

LadyFish

Admiral

Fresh Salsa - Chopped tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, serano peppers, advacado, lime juice. NO cooking. Great on fajitas, eggs and tortilla chips.<br /><br />Cooked Salsa - Roasted plum tomatoes and onions, cilantro, lime juice, seranos or jalapenos, garlic, toss all the pieces in the food processor and pulse it just until the tomatoes are the consistency you want. A little bit of salt and cumin. Bring to a low boil, then turn heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes. Great on anything.

Stratosfied

Ensign

guageguy, I really like the thought of the apples but am wondering, which variety, if any, you like the best?

gaugeguy

Captain

I have a crab apple tree out back that works great for it. Tennis ball sized green apples that have a good pucker factor.<br /><br />The wife got some green apples from the store the other day (not sure what kind), and they were too sweet and juicy.<br /><br />BTW, I am very jealous of you people that get fresh avacados

Stratosfied

Ensign

Thanks guageguy, I like to experiment with different foods and tastes/textures. The avacodo is a nice flavor to use also. The differce between the apples and the rest of the mix would almost be a salsa sweet and sour(spicy)! :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Exactly Stratosfied, just have to eat it kinda quick cause the apples will brown up. But from the sounds of things, getting rid of salsa is not a problem ;)

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Add some artachoke hearts, cooked beans, sweet corn, Pinapple, mango, Roasted garlic/peppers.

Stratosfied

Ensign

well gaugeguy, I wonder if you could prepare a supply of it using a preservative for the apples or even if you could freeze the salsa and perhaps even use some dried/frozen apples added when needed. I think the presevative is called pectin?<br /><br />Dern, This is making me hungry as I have just worked off the graveyard shift! :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> Dang Bigfun, you all are killing me! ;)
I'm tellin ya everytime I open this thread my mouth gets to waterin like a st. bernard.<br /><br />Never tried the preservatives, but I'm sure it would work.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Had to bump it up to make gaugeguy's mouth start waterin' again!!! :p

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> Had to bump it up to make gaugeguy's mouth start waterin' again!!! :p
Dirty, Dirty trick Pointer. :D

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I make a really good salsa.<br /><br />Ingrediants:<br /><br />Canned peeled tomatoes.<br />Canned sliced black olives.<br />Canned Mushrooms, stems n pieces. Dice to your desire.<br />several stalks of green onions, sliced to your desired thickness. I use plenty of green onions.<br />Several cans of sliced/diced green chiles.<br />Garlic powder or Diced Garlic<br />Onion Powder<br />Cilantro if desired, just a few stems finely diced. a little goes a long way.<br /> <br />Drain the items that need to be drained except the tomatoes.<br />Dump the tomatoes in your container, I peel them apart by hand to the desired chunkiness.<br />Add all the other ingrediants, let sit for a few hours in the fridge for the flavors to mix, overnight is better.<br /><br />Serve with plenty of chips n Corona. <br /><br />I make mine so thick a chip will stand up in it.<br /><br />People at work ask me all the time when am I going to bring in a bowl of my salsa, its a meal in itself.<br /><br />Try it, you'll like it.

ehenry

Commander

Yall better watchit ! ! ! Some of these folks'll list their recipe and "accidentally" leave out an ingredient or two. Have ya wonderin "Damn, somethin aint right with this. Its missin somethin."

FSHKPR

Ensign

I like the fresh stuff too. i usually make smaller batches because after two or three days it just is not the same. also i dont care for it after its been frozen. use all the regular main ingriedients tomatoes, onion, for color i usually try and get yellow ,green,and red bell peppers, garlic, cilantro,and a little mango. i like habenero peppers too but the wife dont so usually make two little batches on with and one with out.