Homemade Livewell ideas and pics..

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice
all right let see those homemade livewells ideas.. i have a 18' aurora and i am looking for something i can put on when we are fishn and remove when we are playing....
thanks...
curtis..

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Homemade Livewell ideas and pics..

all right let see those homemade livewells ideas...

not a live well, but a dead well...sorry I had to :D
deadfish.jpg

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

buy the biggest & cheapest cooler you can find,used is even better,get a pump & a plug in power connector,put a drain hose in towards the top so you can plug it in once in awhile to put fresh water in,a small pump wont pull to much amps & when your done pull the hoses & pump off & set into the cooler till the next time you go,no need to worry about new wiring or holes in the deck,you will find it easier to keep fish alive as the cooler will help keep temp down with a lot less ice than a live well,i was lucky t have 1 on my tracker when i bought it about a month ago,waiting on the crappie to start bitting so i can try it out :D ,mike243

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

Just get a cooler and fill it half full of ice and throw the fish in there.

A bait well is a totally different story.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

pontoonbaitwell.jpg

this one is great,, I have a bilge pump on the rear of the boat with a timer for sitting and a water pick up that forces water in when I am moving,, the entire thing is removable when you don't need it,, and it is quite inexpensive to make,, I think the most expensive part was the timer switch. the hoses have quick disconnect and the water hose that works when the boat is moving has a shut off valve also, just in case you don't want water in the well if you are not using it,, the large hose is an exit hose for the water to leave the bait well,, and the cooler has wheels and a retractable handle for rolling it around.
pontoonbaitpumpandwaterpickup.jpg

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

how does the water pick up work....got a pic...close up ??....thanks

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

it is the white piece below the bilge pump in the second picture, it is basically a pvc elbow that has the tabs on it for screws to attach it to a wall,, I have a aluminum mount attached to the back of the pontoon where the depth finder transducer mounts,, the elbow faces forward and is exposed to the flow of water as the boat moves,, the water is forced in the tubing and up to the bait well,, it works really well.

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the ideas.. keep them coming.. so jeff the elbow is turned up the pontoon to just catch and force it up the line? . is there a one way valve to keep it from syphoning the water back out when you stop?

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

rentprop1 ,
good one .. i think i had one or two of those kinds.. lol..
dont think it would fair well on the boat.. :D

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

it can't siphon out because the hoses go above the water in the well,, look at the picture the big overflow hose is lower than the 2 tubes feeding the well,, If you want to put them below the water level you use an elbow above the water and then a down tube, place a small hole in the elbow above the water line and it can't siphon out. but all that isn't necessary, I keep a lot of fish in that well and it works really great. If I have the well loaded up with bait I turn the pump on continuously while the boat is at rest and turn it off when I am underway so I don't burn out the pump seal as the pump is out of the water when the boat is moving.
Apr15586.jpg

Apr15580.jpg

Apr15583.jpg

Apr15582.jpg

Apr15581.jpg

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

or you could just use your p w c and tie a bait bucket to it
DSC00392.jpg

reelfishin

Captain

I've been using one of those kits in a cooler now for almost 20 years, they work great. I have a 34 qt cooler set up for small bait, a 80 qt. for bait and a 120 qt for keeping the catch alive. I made the first set up out of PVC and an old bilge pump, the second was a kit from the tackle shop and the last one was a kit like above.

pontoonokie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for sharing .. great pictures... keep them coming..