Homemade Guide-ons

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thought I would share my Guide-On design to help those wanting to make their own or help "create a spark" for something different. I didn't have the money to buy some so I "thought outside the box", incorporating things around the house that were just taking up space.

Started off with a stabilizer (wide u shape) from an extension ladder and cut it in half (Got idea from someone else post in a forum, but can't remember who, ...but, props to ya). Then I used 2 aluminum fence pipes and pushed each into a stabilizer until it was snug. I drilled & added rivets to attach the pipes to the stabilizer. I will probably slide PVC over the pipes. Next, I thought about how many store-bought guide-ons use a combination of brackets in an X pattern, to clamp or sandwich the perpindicular rails together. I had one of those old "razor" scooters and noticed that the bottom of the deck had a channel running lengthwise. It was JUST wide enough that both the trailer rail and the stabilzer could lay down in the channel. So, I cut the deck into 4 pieces, then drilled a hole in each corner of each piece. I continued drilling each hole until it passed through the lower portion of each piece. Now, bolts were needed (at least 5" long). I decided to cut 8 lengths of All-Thread, just long enough to add a nylon lock nut to both ends.

I've attached a few sketch-ups of the items as well as a couple of pics of the final product.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
  • razor scooter.jpg
    razor scooter.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2
  • Guide-on1.jpg
    Guide-on1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Homemade Guide-ons

I got mine for free at a boat yard that sold trailers. They were matching the boat to my trailer and I asked about guides. They said a few people don't use them and they had a few I could pick from and install when I got home.

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great idea.... and a fine description of the process. thanks...I have this project to do in the next few weeks. rich

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Clever design.
Now slip a piece of PVC pipe over the fence post w/a cap on top. It will spin upon contact with the boat and not mar the boat from the metal to metal contact you have now.

Dave

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I like it.
Good thinking.
Whay did you use to draw it up? Goggle Sketch-Up ??

You could replace one of those hex nuts on top with an eyenut.
Then use it for your transom tiedowns, eliminating the current anchor hardware on there.

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jeeper, that's a great idea! I've never seen an eye nut but I'll head to home depot to find one. And, yes, I used Google Sketch-up.

kfa4303

Banned

I love adding the PVC too. They work great as guides while your loading and unloading your boat. I also ran my trailer lights up through them so that I can see when/if the lights are working as I am driving and backing into the water and they're now high and dry and I never have to worry about the lights ever getting wet. I capped each verticle piece of PVC with and open ended, PVC, T-cap. They keep all the wiring dry while stil allowing access to them via the open sides, if need be. I also ran an extra, white, ground wire from each light to the white ground on the trailer's wiring harness. Now I never have to worry about tracking down a bad ground some where. Just a few sugestions. Good luck.

lucida

Cadet

here is my version, quick, cheap and easy.
Material needed:
- 1x1/2" EMT pipe from Laws, $1.78
- 1 swimming tube from walmart, $1.00
use tube bender and welder,
101020103058.jpg

101020103059.jpg

101020103056.jpg

101020103057.jpg

101020103061.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Material needed:

Ayuh,... I see a couple of problems with your design,...

#1,... 1/2" conduit is Way to light... I'd say 1", or 1,1/2" would work better,...
I used 1, 1/4" pipe for the attachment point, 'n sleeved PVC conduit over it....

#2,... If you run into Deep. Steep ramps,...
The aft guides will be Underwater, 'n without elbows, or sweeps at the top, it's Very possible the hull can hang up on the top, under the rubrail...
My rubrails have little bends in 'em, from just that....
The 1st time it happened to me, the Whole boat was riding above the trailer, with All it's weight on the 2 tops of the guides...

90? PVC Conduit Sweeps, cut in 1/2, work Great, as the boat will settle down in-between 'em, without gettin' hung up,...

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Material needed:
101020103058.jpg

101020103059.jpg

101020103056.jpg

101020103057.jpg

101020103061.jpg
Okay, just out of curiousity....................
Howcome one side is mounted differently then the otherside?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I would find a friend who knew how to weld and make some.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I don't weld either I just used an old ladder stabilizer that I had one too many of. It works fine for the small boat:

mirrocr022.jpg

mirrocr023.jpg

mirrocr024.jpg

starc008-1.jpg

starcrafttrolling015-1.jpg

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I'd weld a gusset of some sorts between the point of connection to the trailer and where it turns vertical. Bent metal has little structural integrity, and I'm betting here that if you get caught in a wind and that thing gets whacked, that conduit will want to return to it's prior straight condition. That's the weakest point of the guide ons. The ones i bought have a 1/4"X1" strap from the horizontal point on the trailer to the vertical stantion.

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice design, Halas. To me, it was so easy after getting the "L" shape taken care of by using the ladder stabilizer.

Evinbuck

Seaman

The ladder stabilizer design sure seems to be a popular one. I also saw it on this forum and did a modified design to suit my needs. I wanted not only guide posts but to mount my trailer lights up out of the water. Not only because of forgetting to yank the plug and popping bulbs but for better visibility on the road. My boat sets so low on the trailer the lights are difficult to see in the daytime. No prob at night but now with them up people definitely see when you hit the brakes or turn signal. Not the best picture but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0