homebuilt and converted trailers Wa state registration

waverace

Recruit
Hi guys new to the forum and had a question about trailers , I realise that state rules vary quite a bit , so to start with I live in WA state , I have a couple of trailers that have no titles , have never been registered to me , without standing in line at the dmv and being told that there is nothing I can do how do I go about getting them registered ?
Secondly as I am a welder would it be possible to build and register my own trailer ? or convert for example a camper trailer chassis to a boat trailer ?
The physical conversion holds no problems for me but the whole legal paperwork part mystifies me , any help , advice , warnings etc much appreciated , oh and yes I am a skinflint (-: but not by choice , darn economy.
Thanks in advance

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: homebuilt and converted trailers Wa state registration

here is my thread about it:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252054&highlight=trailer

It was quite easy.

The trailer was quite obvious that it was a production trailer, I removed all the stickers, and signs, and painted it with some rustoleum. While doing that I noticed the Serial numbers, I grinded thoes down, bondo'd over it, and sanded smooth. then painted.

I told the DMV that- the guy that I bought it from made it from other trailer parts. And he never registered it.

They didnt care, went and looked at it, and slaped a VIN sticker on it.

waverace

Recruit

Sounds too easy , dont think the WA DMV is that easy going , but I have friends in CA maybe they could do that for me then "sell" me the trailer so that I can get it registered here , long way to drive though with a trailer on the back of the truck .

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

or take any trailer down there, have it titled and licensed. then mail you the plate and title. I have 3 trailers, one plate, I understand its illegal as hell to do a plate swap like that. But I dont care. All the DMV knows it the weight and how many axles it is. And I guessed on how heavy it was.

Its not hard, the statment of facts, is just stating that It has never been registered, and has never been operated or parked on public roads or streets, as fees would have become due. And stating that the trailer was home-made.

Hell, I had a porsche 914 that I told the DMV I home made (after I lost the title) they looked, and threw a vin on it. and gave me a "special construction" title.

It still said Porsche all over it

waverace

Recruit

I would like to try and do this legally if at all possible , I appreciate that if you are going to keep the trailer then a plate swap would probably work as long as you dont get in an accident :eek: but what if I need to sell it down the line ? also it was an idea of mine to do a few of these for sale as there is a need for cheap boat trailers here in WA and a plentifull supply of cheap or free unregistered camper trailers .

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure how much info you got yet but here is some for ya. You have a few options

1: If the trailer has a vin # on it fill out form http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420531.pdf This is a public disclousre forum send it to olympia, you will get a letter back from them, if it has the peoples name you got it from take this form http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420040.pdf release of interest and have them fill it out, sign and notorize, take to DOL with bill of sale and register it in your name you'll get a title in the mail.

If the people you got the trailer from are not on your public disclosure sheet you must send them a certified letter addressee only with return receipt, with the form above and get them to sign and send it back, i like to include a note to explain whats going on and what the risks are if they refuse to sign (trailer abandment, high fees for abandaning etc) most likely the last known registerd owners arent around. Since its addresee only no one but them can pick it up. Anytime while your waiting for the paperwork to come back make an appointment for a vin inspection and have the trailer inspected, this cost $50 but you pay it when you register and the trailer goes into a 3 year title ownership in doubt, you will get a registration and you can sell it you just have to take the buyer in and have the dol do a change. When the letter comes back from the post office DO NOT open it, take it unopened to DOL. If letter was delivered successfully to the last registered owner and they did the right thing and filled it out and sent it back then open it and take it in and you can get your title in the mail no vin inspection required.

If public disclosure comes back with no results, take trailer in for inspection, take no result letter to dol, it goes through 3 year title.

Option 2: if trailer is truly homemade or you scratched the vin off etcc. Then take it in a be sure to save all recepts you put in for parts (steel, weld, lights, wire, paint, axles, bearing etc.) if they approve you will get a new vin and you can then go on for a title.

Sorry for such a long post, if you have any questions contact me.

The forms you can fill out in adobe and print them so you dont have to hand write them out, there is no fee for public disclosure but there is a $50 vin inspection and i think a custom built trailer fee might be the same or higher

On the affidavit of loss form remember the person selling the item fills out the release of interest portion and notorizes in the release of interest spot. You fill out the affidavit of loss on the top portion and bring into your DOL.
These forms need to be notorized, most banks offer this service for free, i know most BECU branches do.

Bondo

Staff member

Secondly as I am a welder would it be possible to build and register my own trailer ? or convert for example a camper trailer chassis to a boat trailer ?

Ayuh,..... Parts is Parts as long as there's No vin #....

After reading abit of kamby's info,... It must really $uck living in Wa. state....

Here in Ny.
You bring in a Weight ticket for the unladen trailer,+ tell the lady how much it'll haul....
She'll issue you a vin#, a plate,+ a temp.inspection sticker.... $20/ $25.00 later, you're on your way....
If you so decide to have the wagon inspected, most local Shops can do it for you,... $10.00 I think..
But,..
The State Inspection rules just aren't enforced on wagons lighter than 10,000lbs here in Ny...
I've never, ever been asked for it in 35 years of wagon draggin'...

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it does $uck for doing the title thing in washington, its a pita. You also have to wait 15 days for the people to pick up the letter

waverace

Recruit

Thanks for the info , I guess I'll get started