homebuilders / construction guys lend me your ear

tpenfield

Staff member
Got any pictures to post? My head is starting to hurt from trying to visualize . . .

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I do , but since the whole photobucket fiasco everytime i try to post pics i just get frustrated .

look at this calculator , they show the 2 versions I am talking about

standard - first step off the porch is down
flush - first step off the porch is level with deck and on stringer .

My original set up was a "flush" is there any benefit of going to standard ? I guess thats the question

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the step is completely personal choice imo, in addition to having enough space if going level. Folks have level, I have half riser step.

captmello

Captain
if you have a continuous railing that needs to transition from the deck to the stairs, you may need to add two extra posts and a short section of flat railing if you don't go standard.
that would decide it for.me.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
if you have a continuous railing that needs to transition from the deck to the stairs, you may need to add two extra posts and a short section of flat railing if you don't go standard.
that would decide it for.me.

This is the key for me, too. Standard is much easier if you have railings to deal with.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yes , good call on the railing , that was one of the flaws with the previous deck that I forgot about , the standard option will make that transition from deck to stair railing much cleaner. Im going that route for sure.

Gonna shoot for this method of attachment. Except for I have double joists on the end this pic is good representation. Bringing the stringer up and under between the joists.

Just gotta calculate it now .

1602858102040.png