MVC-318S.jpg

MVC-321S.jpg

MVC-319S.jpg

MVC-322S.jpg

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: home made jack plate

Not bad . . . not bad at all.

Quite ingenious . . . even for a Gators fan. :)

62larkowner

Seaman

how bout one for a clamp on tiller stear and a aluminum boat?????

62larkowner

Seaman

is 2" by 2" 1/8" thick aluminum angle strong enough for this? a 1969 9.5 rude on a 14 ft flatbotum jonboat? onlu gata go up 2 1/2 inches or so

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can see using a plate like the above on something with a known excellent condition transom.....and nothing more than a 25hp motor. Anything heavier and I think you're asking for trouble. That moves the engine weight from being somewhat balanced on top, to hanging off the back. From a safety standpoint....very risky.

IMO I think it would be better to have a straight vertical increase in the transom with a bracket, not moving the weight back.....but I'd still keep it to a 25hp limit.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

why the three layers of plywood?? why any ply wood. seems you could bolt right to the jack plate and use a thick washer....the bolts hold the height!!! there is no rule you need to use 5" long bolts!! ha ha

if it were me, id just use 2 bars of aluminum. One across the top holes inside, and one across the bottom hole inside( as a strip washer) you add axial support to your jack plate other than the bolts from the transom to the jack plate....has to make it a little more rigid!!!

OOOPPPPS didnt realize this was a revived thread from sooo long ago!!!!

bob