Home Canning

ehenry

Commander
I made my first foray in to the world of home canning Saturday. I canned 14 quarts of snappin beans and all of them got a seal. Used a Presto pressure canner. I pulled the beans saturday morning and canned them that afternoon. I plan on canning other things too ie: tomatoes, peppers, corn and such from my garden.<br /><br />I bet I called my mamma 14 times while this whole process was going on. I think she got tired of me callin her cause she brought me two books on home canning. One from the Ball Jar company and the other from Mississippi State Cooperative Extension Service. Plus I read the manual that came with the canner. All three publications said basically the same thing.<br /><br />Any one else here in to home canning?<br /><br />I'm sorta proud of myself..... :cool:

rwise

Captain
Re: Home Canning

I do a little, but the family eats most everything before it can be canned! 'cept my peppers, and I get to make sauce with them.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last year we canned green beans and tomato juice. This year we're trying something new - we're going to freeze tomatoes for use in sauces and stuff later on. The admiral found that you can put tomatoes in a ziplock bag for freezing. We're curious to see how they turn out.

ehenry

Commander

I did the tomatoes in the freezer bag and I wasn't real impressed with them when we used them. But to own their each !

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, before we launch head long into the freezing process, what did you find "wrong" with them. My first guess is that they can't be used in salads and sutff.

ehenry

Commander

it really depends, as I found out later, what variety you use when you freeze them. We froze Better Boy's and when thawed the pretty much turned to mush and didin't hold up well when used to cook with. That was my main complaint.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

We're going to put up romas - I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />tcube

ehenry

Commander

I've heard Roma's freeze well, that those are the ones you really want to use to freeze.