Holocaust Memorial Ceremony.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
This evening we were present at a holocaust memorial ceremony.One of the main parts was thanking those soldiers,who found the concentration camps and liberated the starving and dying inmates.Our community has gone out of its way to find and contact liberators and to thank them for risking their lives to free the survivors of the death camps.<br />We did not find enough, because many have passed away already.<br />If you are one of those who liberated a concentration camp,I thank you.If you know one who did,please thank him in my name.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: Holocaust Memorial Ceremony.

Well said. In 1977 our family went to Poland and my father and my brothers went to Aushwicz when we were in Krakow. Before you can tour the camp you must watch a 1/2 hour movie about the holocast then decide if you want to go. First they take you to some barracks that are about 40 by 80 feet, some are filled with luggage,then shoes , personal items inculding childerns toys,human hair just not a few items every barrack is filled to the brim with each item. Then you go by the building where Dr Mengle preformed the medical experaments next block down there is a wall where the SS shot Russian POW'S the wall was never repaired the wall is riddled with bullet holes. By now we had people crying in our group and I was not prepared for the next building you are led in to a large brick building and on the right the is a small room with hooks for your clothes they have uniformes still hanging there with ratty shoes neatly put under the bench. Next you are led down the stairs and there are the gas chambers I was not feeling weel and on the way back up I broke down and cried hard for a long time. What bothered me was how many people walked down the stairs and never walked back up, to this day it still haunts me I didn't finsh tour I went back to the bus I was 17 when I was there and after all these years it's still mighty fresh..I like to thank the American and Soviet troops for liberating them...........