Holley carb throttle plate holes? (3.0L Volvo GSP-A)

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
My quest for a low idle continues...

Can someone tell me if the throttle plates should have small holes in them on a Holley-carbed later-model (2000+) Volvo Penta 3.0L with a PCV valve? (you can see if you look down past the choke) I'm trying to figure out why I can't get mine to idle at a low RPM. My throttle plates have "215" stamped on them and have small holes. To get these 3.0 - holley combinations (with a PCV valve) idling properly, do you need the throttle plates almost fully closed (idle screw all the way out) or are your plates slightly open?

The manual calls for a 3857981 carb and that's what was on my engine, but this number doesn't show up here on volvopentastore. The online volvo parts lookup gives me 3857982 as the carb for my engine - maybe there is a fix on the newer carb??.

Before I go tearing in to find a vacuum leak, I want to make sure there isn't something set up wrong in the first place or if the previous owner messed something up. (This boat is new to me so I don't know if it has ever idled properly- when I bought it the ldle screw was all the way out, and the carb had been messed with). I put a rebuilt carb on and have the same problem. Other than this issue the boat starts right up (even after sitting for a few days) and runs fine.

Now after warm I idle at 850+ out of gear and 750+ in gear and I don't want to trash the drive. I had to screw out the throttle linkage so it applies pressure against the throttle to force it closed in order to get these numbers.

I would love to get this resolved so any help would be great.

Thanks,
Fred