Holiday Reading

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've just been reading one of those books that you can't put down until it's finished.<br /><br />"Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell.<br /><br />It's non-fiction which makes it more interesting. She actually solves the long running "Jack the Ripper" mystery using modern forensic techniques. The murders which happened in the East End of London during the late 1800's were never solved and the murderer (who as also a famous painter/actor) lived to a ripe old age undetected until his death in 1942.<br /><br />I won't say any more about it - so as not to spoil it for those who haven't read it, but it's a good one and you'll need a strong stomach...<br /><br />JB - by chance, is she a relative?<br /><br /> http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/Info_14686.asp <br /><br />Has anyone else been doing much reading over the holidays ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Holiday Reading

Have no idea, Kiwi. <br /><br />A lot of writers in the family, maybe she is one of us.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I'm always reading a book. The one I'm reading now is called "The Immigrants"- historical fiction based on San Francisco area late 1800's to 1900's. Good so far.<br />Bassy

JB

I am reading "Marine Rifleman" by Col. Wesley Fox USMC (Ret).<br /><br />It is an autobiography of 43 years in the Corps.<br /><br />Good read, no punches pulled.

gaugeguy

Captain

Inspired by the thread last week about the Battle of the Bulge, I am reading "The Longest Winter" by Alex Kershaw, about the most decorated platoon in WWII who fought, were captured and all survived the B of the B and almost a year in concentration camps.

tylerin

Commander

Looks like my kind of book Kiwi. Believe it or not the best book I've read recently was Seabiscuit. A must read book.

gaugeguy

Captain

I've read quite a few of Patricia Cornwell's fiction books (Kay Scarpetta series) and they are quite entertaining.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I am reading "Marine Rifleman" by Col. Wesley Fox USMC (Ret).<br /><br />It is an autobiography of 43 years in the Corps.<br /><br />Good read, no punches pulled.
There is also a very good read called Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills...can't recall the author, but it is about a Marine sniper in Viet Nam. True story...

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br />There is also a very good read called Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills...can't recall the author, but it is about a Marine sniper in Viet Nam. True story...
Charles Henderson, the sniper is the legendary Carlos Hathcock, Semper Fi :cool:

spratt

Lieutenant

That's it!!! I read that, and really enjoyed it.

gaugeguy

Captain

If you liked that one, you should read "White feather" by Lt. Col. Chandler. It is the only authorized biography of GySgt Hathcock.

spratt

Lieutenant

I'll look it up! Thanx!! Will be going to the library this week...man, I love that place!!!

JB

The copy of "Marine Rifleman" I am reading is signed by Col Fox to my SIL, who served as his Corpsman in Nam and was present in the action that earned Fox his CMH.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> The copy of "Marine Rifleman" I am reading is signed by Col Fox to my SIL, who served as his Corpsman in Nam and was present in the action that earned Fox his CMH.
That is very impressive, a keepsake for sure :cool:

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Believe it or not the best book I've read recently was Seabiscuit. A must read book.
Now that was an excellent read! A must for sure! <br />Bassy